Re: Finance wants to track invoices sent to customers through Marketo

Bianca_Monteiro
Level 1

Finance wants to track invoices sent to customers through Marketo

Hello Marketo Community,

My Finance team wants to be able to track email sends, opens, clicks for invoices they sent to customers through their outlook and management is keen on using Marketo to track it and not any external email tracking plugins for outlook. I found a solution for this through Marketo Sales Insight. However, I'm not sure what the cons could be of using Sales Insights for this purpose.

Hence reaching out to the community to know if any of you have used this approach before? Is this best practice? Is there anything else available for tracking invoices sent to customers except Marketo?

Looking forward to hearing back

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Amy_Goldfine
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

MSI is meant for sending a Marketo email template (such as a webinar invite, or an event follow-up) from a rep to someone 1:1. You can pull in person tokens but that's about it for customization. It's not going to allow you to send and track other emails in Outlook

Amy Goldfine
Marketo Champion & Adobe Community Advisor
Amy_Goldfine

What tool is generating the invoices? Can it send and track them?

Also I feel obligated to point out that email open and click data is notoriously unreliable and doesn't necessarily mean that a person interacted with your email. 

Amy Goldfine
Bianca_Monteiro
Level 1

Amy Thanks for getting back!

Currently, finance sends invoices directly from the company group outlook email. They don't use an external tool

I found some outlook plugins to track emails sent directly from outlook, but I don't know if that'll work

Do you have any suggestions on how to track metrics for finance invoices? or know of any tool that can help?

Amy_Goldfine

I'd (gently) ask what they're looking to get out of these metrics. They're really considered "vanity metrics" in marketing. Overall they'll give you a pulse on how your email marketing is performing, and you can see trends over time, but they're not necessarily an indicator of anything further "down the funnel" so to speak. If people aren't paying their invoices on time, does it really matter if they opened the email or not? 

Amy Goldfine