Filtering for words/letters isolated in Flow Data Value Change

Robert_Stanley
Level 3

Filtering for words/letters isolated in Flow Data Value Change

I am creating a flow that updates a Persona field for new leads coming into the database based on Job Titles that include "IT" using the IF "Job Title" contains.  Is it possible using either "", [ ], or ** to just filter when IT is isolated? Otherwise I pull in words like "Auditor", "Architect", "Litigation", "Quality".

The only thing I can think of is using IF "Job Title" contains AND "Job Title" NOT CONTAIN and have to think of all the different Job Titles that have "it" in them.

Thank you

7 REPLIES 7
Devraj_Grewal
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Filtering for words/letters isolated in Flow Data Value Change

Robert,

You could use "if job title contains " IT " and include the spaces. That will require "IT" to be a word on it's own. I would first query your database to exclude any other job titles that may include " IT " but would not be appropriate (ex. "Executive Assistant to the IT Director"). Then you can also bring in the filter of "job title does not contain" and list all of the exceptions to the rule.

Robert_Stanley
Level 3

Thank you Devraj, but when I try to do this it trims the empty spaces.

Devraj_Grewal

You're right, it will trim the space before the "IT" but the ending space remains (ex. "IT "). That should help a bit to begin with.

Robert_Stanley
Level 3

OK this does help a bit but doesn't filter out words like "credit" so still not useful to me.  Perhaps I should open a future request for this.  Appreciate you helping me out Devraj.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You can create a persistent space-padded (on both sides) string in a Smart List using the same method used to inject line breaks here: http://blog.teknkl.com/dark-mkto-alleys-line-break-token/

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Robert,

I am sure you have it all figured out by now. In case, you are looking for some more alternatives, there's a 'webhooks' approach you can use.

Check out.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/marketo-magic-wild-card-filters-rajesh-talele

Or Google 'Marketo Wild Card'

This involves using this DIY webhooks library for Marketo - Marketo LaunchPoint – Marketo LaunchPoint

How to use?

pastedImage_3.png

Rajesh Talele

Josh_Hill13

Yes, because Marketo does not do wildcards or Regex.