Re: Filter with Contains and Multiple Values

Conor_Fitzpatri
Level 6

Filter with Contains and Multiple Values

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to figure out how the "Contains" filter logic works with multiple values. I have a trigger campaign that runs when a lead is created and looks for email addresses that contain a list of domains from our current customers. The goal is to route any web leads created by our current customers to support rather than sales.

My smart list is as follows:
  • Lead is Created
  • SFDC Type = Lead
  • Email Address contains:
    • yahoo.com
    • hotmail.com
    • outlook.com
    • etc.
I've used generic domains for example purposes.

Sometimes my campaign works flawlessly, but other times leads with domains that don't exist in the list are still sent through the flow. Can anyone shed some light on logic behind "Contains" or offer any work-arounds?

Thanks,

Conor
Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Matt_Stone2
Level 9

What are some example domains that sneak through?
Conor_Fitzpatri
Level 6

For example, we got a lead from [name]@bluewolfgroup.com that went through the flow, but shouldn't have.

In our list we do have domains that contain the words, "blue" and "group", but not those words alone. If the logic was email address contains "blue" or "group", I'd understand why it triggered so I'm at loss for what is going wrong.
Matt_Stone2
Level 9

Just to confirm, your filter logic for the smart list is ALL, right?
Conor_Fitzpatri
Level 6

Matt,

Forgot to thank you for taking a look at this and, yes, the smart list is set to ALL.
Matt_Stone2
Level 9

It's hard to pinpoint why the exceptions are occuring without seeing the full lists. I'd recommend opening a support ticket and let Marketo take a look at it.

I've had similar troubles in the past, and it has usually been a little nuanced error that I overlooked.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Conor_Fitzpatri
Level 6

Matt,

You were completely correct, I did overlook some values. Also, I added an @ before the domains to prevent any further exceptions.

Thanks for the help!