SOLVED

Re: Filling in a form based on an entered code

Go to solution
Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Filling in a form based on an entered code

Hiya All,

I have a client who has a large number of leads without email addresses.  They are going to do a direct mail to try and garner at least some of these email addresses.  We do have these leads loaded into Marketo (yay for using the API)

The plan is to have a unique code in each letter that a lead can enter into a form.  If the code is valid, It'll then populate what we do know about the lead, and get them to update details and fill in an email address.  If the code is invalid, we'll let them know and get them to try re-entering.  

Has anyone done this, and if so HOW did you make it all work.  If no one has done this, what might a solution look like?

BTW - NO - We will not be using the Marketo Lead ID.  the code will be a random set of letters and numbers meaning people can't just guess at the next number in the sequence to mess with other peoples data.

Cheers

Jo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

That's what pURLs are for!

You send them their Marketo Unique Code (which already exists for everyone in your database) via direct mail. The Unique Code gets appended to a pURL-enabled Landing Page, allowing Pre-Fill.

Now, the problem you may have is that you're essentially changing their Email Address (from blank) using the workflow you've described.

So rather than showing the real Email Address field on the form, have Email Address be a Hidden field, and have a secondary proxy Email field (Self-Service Email Address is what I like to call it) be the one they edit.  Then in a Smart Campaign, when the Self-Service one changes, change the Email Address to {{lead.Self-Service Email Address}} using Change Data Value.*

* This is the same way you build a change-of-address form in Marketo.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
SanfordWhiteman

That's what pURLs are for!

You send them their Marketo Unique Code (which already exists for everyone in your database) via direct mail. The Unique Code gets appended to a pURL-enabled Landing Page, allowing Pre-Fill.

Now, the problem you may have is that you're essentially changing their Email Address (from blank) using the workflow you've described.

So rather than showing the real Email Address field on the form, have Email Address be a Hidden field, and have a secondary proxy Email field (Self-Service Email Address is what I like to call it) be the one they edit.  Then in a Smart Campaign, when the Self-Service one changes, change the Email Address to {{lead.Self-Service Email Address}} using Change Data Value.*

* This is the same way you build a change-of-address form in Marketo.

Jo_Pitts1

@SanfordWhiteman , somehow I knew you'd know 🙂

I'm sure I'll find several ways to mess this up and get horribly confused, but I'll get there!

Cheers

Jo

Jo_Pitts1

@SanfordWhiteman 

I've created a landing page.  I've dropped a form into the landing page.  I've ensured PURLs are enabled for that landing page.

I've appended a known unique code to the landing page (of the form https://domain/lpname/code )

and nada.

Any obvious next steps.

SanfordWhiteman

We should look at this together offline, maybe.
Jo_Pitts1

I've PMed you.  Happy to work through this with you

Jo_Pitts1

Oh, and as a further extension to this conversation.  What to do if someone enters a unique code from their DM that is incorrect (i.e. a typo). 

Is their a way to have a fallback/404 style page in this instance (i.e. 'We can't find that unique code.  Try again and better luck next time')