SOLVED

Re: False positive on email click affecting lead scoring

Go to solution
KanakoTone
Level 5

False positive on email click affecting lead scoring

Hello people,

We are experiencing similar issue as this huge discussion Spam filters registering clicks? . However the situation is slightly different from what's reported there.

Today, after sending out an email, more than 20 leads were qualified as MQLs based on lead score they (or the spam filters) earned. In my case, they did not have "opened email" activity but have "clicked email" and "visited webpage".

I was thinking to tweak the global lead scoring for Click activity as

Clicked email is ANY

and, Opened email is ANY

then I realized that this filter may still add score for Click if someone opened Email A in person in the past and a spam filter clicked Email B that was sent out today.

Is there any way to set the trigger with Opened Email B and Clicked Email B in the global lead scoring smart campaign?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

HI again Kanako,

You may want to:

1. limit the scoring campaign to run once per hour
  2. Vote here:

-Greg

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Kanako,

Remember that Opened email is not reliable. It is only detected by Marketo if the leads downloads images. So it may well happen that a real human clicked an email without apparently opening it.

-Greg

KanakoTone
Level 5

Hi Greg,

I see, however, all the leads in concern now are clicking every link (even privacy policy link) right after the email delivery.

It might be just easier to kill the lead scoring for Clicked link. ...

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

HI again Kanako,

You may want to:

1. limit the scoring campaign to run once per hour
  2. Vote here:

-Greg

KanakoTone
Level 5

Greg,

I already voted for the idea

Could you tell me how I could limit the scoring campaign to run once per hour? I see an option to set date of activity but it doesn't seem liek the one you're talking about.

Sincerely,

Kanako

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Go to the "schedule" tab of the scoring smart campaign and edit the "Smart Campaign settings". Then set it as is:

pastedImage_0.png

-Greg

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

We modified our "clicks CTA link in email" scoring campaign to the following:

pastedImage_0.png

So within the lead records you've identified as false positives, are you saying that you are seeing "click" activity AND "visited web page" activity?  Are you seeing this in the activity log?

KanakoTone
Level 5

Dan,

In the activity log, I see both Click and Visited Webpage activities. But no Open activity. So your scoring campaign probably still adds score for our leads with false positive.

Having said that, I like your idea of filtering out the links! I can't believe I haven't thought about it...

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Unfortunately, we had to remove this filter from our campaigns (including the lead scoring ones).  Now that this issue was top of mind again, I decided to some additional testing.   We're finding in many instances, Marketo isn't logging the "visited web page" activity until upwards of 5 minutes after the click link activity.  Therefore, the trigger campaigns aren't triggering with this filter in place.  Thought we had this one solved.

KanakoTone
Level 5

Interesting... This is what the activity log looks like on my end. I sent out an email around 10:45am.
activity log.PNG