Hello helpful community,
I have a call into Customer Support about this but have come up empty so far. We are using a Facebook Lead Ad with the new trigger rolled out in March with the new release. I've followed the set up instructions here: Set Up Facebook Lead Ads - Marketo Docs - Product Docs and the campaign instructions here: Use Lead Ads Filters and Triggers in a Smart Campaign - Marketo Docs - Product Docs.
We launched a small ad as a trial, and have received a couple of Leads, but Marketo did not pick them up. When setting up the campaign I wanted to use the logic Facebook Lead Ad Form Is and the name of the form, which looks like it should populate as a drop down list, but nothing populated. I changed it to Contains, but no luck.
Since Customer Support has yet to find a solution, I just wanted to see if anyone else had encountered the same, and how you resolved the issue.
We seem to be having the same issue here Kristen - we run lead ads for a number of clients and all of a sudden we can't get it to work for one, and it does seem odd. We did have some issues a couple of days ago with the regression of a bug in one of Marketo's servers which affected lead ad campaigns for one client, but that has been resolved. I wonder whether there's something going on with updates they're currently doing?
I'll keep you posted if they figure something out. I know there was a bug with set up that wouldn't allow me to check 'enable lead capture' when setting it up through Launchpoint. I'm not sure if this is an extension of that issue or not. Hopefully they can help me figure it out.
We had an issue with the lead ads not being transferred correctly to our partitioned Marketo instance, but it was because of two things:
1. Our Marketo fields did not match the lead ad fields (these have to match exactly for it to work).
2. Our complex routing rules were preventing the lead from reaching the correct partition.
Not sure if these could be your issues as well but I figured I'd add them to this thread in case others might be troubleshooting.
After several weeks of working with the service desk unfortunately we cannot figure out the program. Initially they thought it was something with my Facebook permission and/or how the form was set up, but we ran another ad and I created everything in Facebook, and it still didn't work. We don't have another ad running currently, but will keep trying with a new launch next week.
Kristen Yanchak I'm having the same issue with the form name not populating for the trigger.
When I typed it in manually it won't allow me to approve the smart campaign because of the red squiggly line.
Were you able to approve the campaign?
I could never get it to populate, and I still feel like that's the crux of the problem. If you change the operator from 'is' to 'contains' it will let you approve the campaign. However, that still didn't end up working for us unfortunately. According to the service desk, the form will populate in a pick list on the campaign once one lead has gone through, but that also seems counter to me to how Marketo works in other areas.
Kristen Yanchak I actually got it to work this morning!
And by "it" I mean everything. The form populating in Marketo and the leads going into Marketo.
For me the problem was that I was testing the form without the FB campaign being active. Which I believe was causing it to not be seen by Marketo.
So when I turned on the Campaign but kept the Ad Set paused Marketo was eventually able to see the form and then everything worked properly.
I'd be happy to chat or do a screenshare if you need more info.
Aida Kamber correct. That way I could submit the form from the preview in ad manager. Which I believed caused Marketo to see the connection. Then I was able to get the Facebook form to show up in my smart list.