Extracting activity data from Marketo

Anonymous
Not applicable

Extracting activity data from Marketo

A few jobs back, our team was able to extract activity data from Eloqua, in the form of emails sent, opened, clicked and website visits. We used it to create an account profile dashboard for key accounts in a BI tool (see screenshot). We were then able to look at roll-up, account level data, but also at the individual record. 

I want to be able to do something similar, but I'm not sure where to start in terms of the actual data extraction from Marketo.

Has anyone done something similar? I'm guessing we will have to schedule automated blasts via the API, but I just don't have much experience with getting started. Thanks for any insights!

0EM50000000RP8m.jpg
Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Extracting activity data from Marketo

This is something we're looking to do as well. @Trask - What BI tool are you using to ingest all of your data?

Steve Pessah
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tableau...I still have an old license, but it should do the trick. It's pretty reasonable for a single license.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Trask,

We can extract the data only from a Static list through API. To extract all the activity log push all the leads to a static list and extract the data from that list through API. Creating a static list is the first step to extract a data through API.

-------
Vijay
Anonymous
Not applicable

Vijay
You can extract all activities using getLeadChanges() api.  Documentation and code sample are at http://developers.marketo.com/documentation/soap/getleadchanges/

Y
ou can do this without creating any static lists.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Vijay or Raj,

Do you have a tool recommended to extract the data? Or is this more a situation of developing code to achieve the same result? Thanks.
Anonymous
Not applicable

You'd have to develop a tool to extract the info you need using our APIs.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Raj-

We're having problems with the getLeadChanges API's activityCreatedAt parameter.  It appears that the activityDate for the Leads' activities changes based on what time zone the caller of the API is in.  Even if we pull from just one machine, using the maximum time received from the last call to the API to get new records gives us odd results.  How do we standardize the time?  Could we pull using the activityID instead?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

We have leveraged Marketo and Tableau recently, you can see my reply at the bottom in this post: Integrating with Tableau

Best Regards,

Vivian

Anonymous
Not applicable

There are several ways to do it (there are some caveats and a lot of gotchas) -

- Custom build code to call the REST API

- Tableau connector (I wouldn't recommend this)

- Alteryx - which sort of a halfway house of programmatic benefits as well as ease of use

The gotchas are - if you want historical data from your instance you will really struggle to get the data down easily or in a timely manner - the API does not support (that I can see) a filter to get info Between dates - only data FROM a date - i.e. Jan 1 2015 onward will burn through your API calls in no time.   We have several instances which have 2m records plus - so that is 2m x Activity limits - it can easily reach 25m+ rows in now time.