Re: External Unsubscribe Form - Using MKT_TOK in Web Services

Anonymous
Not applicable

External Unsubscribe Form - Using MKT_TOK in Web Services

Hi There,

We're looking at using our own Unsubscribe Form to talk to our internal database as well as send information to Marketo.
It uses Web Services to talk to Marketo, and sends information using the email address as a key.

To pull back information from Marketo we may not necessarily have the email address at this point, just the MKT_TOK as passed in the unsubscribe link e.g. mkt_tok=ABCDEF

Can I use that MKT_TOK within Web services calls? Or is there a different variable we can append to those links that maps to a record?

Thanks,
Mark

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

That token is just for tagging the lead. 

Marketo will append this token on all links unless you ask otherwise. The reason it is on the Unsubscribe link in the Admin section is to ensure it populates.

I am unsure how you would manage this in the web service call. Do you mean webhooks or API?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Using the API.
So for example rather than my unsubscribe link going to
"%mkt_opt_out_prefix%UnsubscribePage.html?mkt_unsubscribe=1&mkt_tok=##MKT_TOK##"

it would go to somethign like:

"myowndomain/UnsubscribePage.php?mkt_tok=##MKT_TOK##"

And that page could then update our local database, and make an API call to Marketo to update the Lead. So I'd either need to use MKT_TOK within my API call, or if it was possible to pass a different variable in the email (e.g. MKT_ID or something) that is available to use in API calls then I'd use that.

Thanks.
Anonymous
Not applicable

We have also implemented an external unsubscribe/email preference center which we use as the 'unsubscribe' link in all emails. 

So currently if leads click this link and update their email preferences and/or unsubscribe, this is not being tracked in Marketo. So we are unable to effectively report on unsubscribes ie. which email they unsubscribed from etc.

If you find any soultions, please post here so I can be updated also.

Thanks,
Amanda
Anonymous
Not applicable

Essentially what I'm after (and can't seem to find in the documentation) is how I can get a Token that uses the lead Id.

e.g. {{Lead.Email Address} returns the email address, but I want something like {{Lead.Id}} that I can use in my web services calls.
I could use Email Address, but it isn't very secure.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone have any ideas? Is it not possible to use the Lead ID as a token? e.g. Lead.Id . That doesn't seem to work.

Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone found solution for this problem. we are facing the same issue. 
Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10