SOLVED

Re: Express Opt-In Checkbox on Forms - CASL Compliance

Go to solution
Ande_Kempf4
Level 5 - Champion Alumni

Thanks Dan Stevens! Earlier today I set up a similar opt-in process that stamps the records date/time and form/webpage the expressed opt-in was given. However, I was still unsure about the checkbox visibility. Good call on using the opt-in date as the filter for the checkbox visibility -  I will use that too! The majority of the LPs we have are in Marketo except maybe three. Thanks for the tip on keeping the opt-in value persistent. I will use this!

Do you provide the opt-in checkbox on all of your forms?

Tammy_Chan
Level 3

Hi Dan,

I like your suggested visibility rule here, I'm wondering though- does that mean you're showing this opt in question for those countries that are also not participating? - Not sure if its worth doing, but I originally only wanted to set the visibility so the opt in & privacy would only show if in these countries and the GDPR Consent date is empty, but doesn't look like this can be done because the statements work as an or.... thoughts?

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Hi Tammy - we do this for everyone.  As we are a global organization, GDPR is essentially going to be global law for us.  It's just too risky to use a person's "country" value as the identifier on whether or not GDPR applies to them.  Not to mention, over time, this will ensure we are only marketing to an engaged audience (and limiting the amount of spam/unsolicited emails we send out).  Quality vs. quantity.

And no, you cannot use advanced filtering like that within the visibility rules.  You'll need some custom javascript to listen for when someone selects their country from the form.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Everyone,

Great work with the Visibility Rule based off the DateTime field being empty, really smart, however my concern is this.

We are taking this approach as well, but I do not want people from non-consent countries to see this checkbox (everyone outside EU/Canada). If we build the consent checkbox visibility based off the DateTime field being empty, then anyone in those non-consent countries will always see this, since consent is not required for them.

Does anyone know of a workaround other then setting a value such as, 01/01/1900 12:00 AM, as the "default" value in the DateTime field for all records that do not require consent?

Thanks!

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

what's wrong with setting a default value for people who do not require consent ?

One of your issues will be to remove the consent box for totally unknown people, on their first visits (before they become known).

-Greg

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

+1  Not to mention, Australia is another country that requires explicit consent.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Does anyone know of a workaround other then setting a value such as, 01/01/1900 12:00 AM, as the "default" value in the DateTime field for all records that do not require consent?

You might set such a value temporarily using JavaScript to trigger Visibility Rules, then remove it before the form is submitted.

When building systems, I'm wary of treating any actual date as a magic date-that's-not-a-date: a null/empty date is less confusing.

This has been a problem in the database world since time immemorial (pun intended!): a non-null date that means not-a-date is impossible. Even setting the BEGINNING_OF_TIME or END_OF_TIME supported by a database engine doesn't suffice, since that's the earliest/latest date that a field can hold, not outside the range. It may sound nitpicky but IMO the best way to is to not use a date at all if it's unknown or inapplicable.