SOLVED

Re: Export html of final email - not with tokens & variables

Go to solution
Elin_Pedersen
Level 2

Update from support: this has to do with the latest release and the removal of the mkt_tok in the url for the view as a web page. They confirmed that the workaround is to save the html, and get to the source code that way. Still a bit of a hassle, but at least it's something. The really annoying part is that the marketo hosted image url's are not complete in the downloaded file, so those have to be added/updated manually in order for images to display correctly when/if sharing externally. Unless anyone knows a smart way of embedding the full image urls for images hosted in the design studio?

Tiffany_Phan1
Level 2

Thanks for update Elin! I'm still waiting for support to respond to my ticket.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

The really annoying part is that the marketo hosted image url's are not complete in the downloaded file, so those have to be added/updated manually in order for images to display correctly when/if sharing externally. Unless anyone knows a smart way of embedding the full image urls for images hosted in the design studio?

You can always change the HTML to use absolute URLs.

SanfordWhiteman

Pls show one of your VAWP links so I can interpret "the removal of the mkt_tok". The mkt_tok is, at least on the initial pageview, an absolute necessity for the web page view to work at all.

Elin_Pedersen
Level 2

Marketo support has confirmed that the view source option no longer works due a change in the latest release with regards to the mkt-tok, and the fact that it no longer sticks in the url of the page when viewing an email as a web page.

The mkt_tok is still there, but it doesn't stay in the url path of the browser anymore. You can spot it for a split second and then it's gone. This is what support mentioned about this change: "... we confirmed with engineering that this is due to the release and a byproduct of an intended and necessary change for security reasons. The removal of the mkt_tok, was so that the end user "cannot bookmark, forward, or let search engine cache it" according to engineering. Since that value can be used for cookie-ing with Munchkin, it was theoretically possible for the URL to get indexed on a search engine. Meaning anyone who clicked the link would get cookied as that person."

They also confirmed that the approach going forward of getting to the code through a browser would be to save it as a file - view source will not work anymore because of the "missing" token. They did however provide another workaround to mimic the view source code approach I used before, and it works, although requires a bit of cutting and pasting:

1. Send yourself a test email with the "view as web page" link included.
  2. In the email, right-click this url and copy it.
  3. In the browser, paste "view-source:your-copied-url-from-the-email" into the path.
  4. On that page you will see the complete url with the actual token - copy the entire url.
  5. In the browser, paste "view-source:the-entire-token-url" into the path.
  6. There's the code.
SanfordWhiteman

You can disable JS as well, then save the page (Dev Tools - Disable JavaScript), because replaceState is being used. I can also give you some Velocity that can work around the behavior.

Of course anyone can bookmark or reshare any LP that has a mkt_tok. This isn't something specific to View As Web Page, even if sharing the web view might appear most likely.

Since that value can be used for cookie-ing with Munchkin, it was theoretically possible for the URL to get indexed on a search engine. Meaning anyone who clicked the link would get cookied as that person.

Btw this is not really true as stated. The VAWP code doesn't init Munchkin. However, if you click a link from VAWP to another LP, that traditionally resulted in an associated cookie. And that still is the case on non-Marketo LPs, which don't have the rather questionable fix in place.

Glenda_Georgoul
Level 2

solution doesn't work for me anymore

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same- the file will save, but when trying to attach it as text to an Outlook email, I get and error message about the CSS and the entire email is skewed.

pastedImage_0.png