Expiration for API Calls?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Expiration for API Calls?

Good afternoon,

We have an automated, transactional deal flow set up via API call to alert customers on where they are in our sales funnel. The template for all of the emails has a section where it lists: Company Name, Customer Phone, Our contract Number, and when it was updated. These exist in each email through Tokens. They are MyTokens at the program level. Example see below:

Screen Shot 2016-06-28 at 2.56.19 PM.png

Some of our customers are vendors so they refer deals to us..so sometimes these vendors will submit numerous deal to us and that vendor will receive all of the transactional emails. This example shows a vendor who has 7 deals..what you see below is a screen shot of the vendors Activity log. Looking at the records it shows the request campaign sends 2 different stages in the funnel before an email triggers off.

Screen Shot 2016-06-28 at 3.06.33 PM.png

Problem number one that we encountered is the delay in how long it took to send out the email. We have called support other times for this issue and they pinged it to Salesforce Account/Contact/Lead updates that cause a backlog in our queue.

Problem number two is that the email that was sent out popped in the default values for the tokens instead of the proper information that was passed through the API. In the API the developer passed through the proper company name, but when the email sent out to the customer it filled in with Sturk Construction (if you look above that is our default value for the MyToken). What i'm wondering is that the information passed through API for the MyTokens can expire if not used within a certain amount of time?

Any help with this would be awesome. Its frustrating because since its API and deals with Salesforce nobody can help. Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Expiration for API Calls?

What i'm wondering is that the information passed through API for the MyTokens can expire if not used within a certain amount of time?

AFAIK it is only used in the context of that ​Request Campaign ​action, but it shouldn't expire if that action is not complete.  Are you expecting a token value set in one API call to persist in other API calls? I know that isn't expected to work.  If you have nested triggers, for another example, I don't believe that's expected to work, either.

Anonymous
Not applicable

My dev team has implemented a refresh mechanism so at anytime it passes API to Marketo it will call and request the campaign. The problem is that between Requested Campaign to Send Email there is a delay, up to 2 1/2 hours and when the email was sent out the MyTokens didn't populate with the proper information. It used the default values even though the API passed through the necessary information. We know it does that because it wasn't doing this behavior on all leads.

Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

The content of a token that you submit via requestCampaign should not expire, so if the content of your tokens was valid, then they should have been included in the emails sent.  I'd circle back with support and provide copies/examples of the calls where you've seen this.