Excluding Specific Link from Email Performance Report

jf12
Level 1

Excluding Specific Link from Email Performance Report

Hi Everyone,

Hoping someone can help me figure this out!

We're currently using the Email Performance report to track CTR, but one of the links on our emails is a 'View Online' link. Is there any way to remove that specific link's click data? I've considered adding (Clicked Link In Email > Link Is Not > View Online) & (Not Clicked Link In Email), however I believe that would remove all additional tracking for that person - for example if they opened the email and then clicked view online, they would not be counted as an open. I only need the click data to be excluded. Is that possible? Will I just have to run two separate reports?

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Excluding Specific Link from Email Performance Report

I've considered adding (Clicked Link In Email > Link Is Not > View Online) & (Not Clicked Link In Email),

This AND condition won't return anyone at all, because you're saying "people who clicked something other than Link A AND ALSO didn't click anything" — that's the empty set!

Not really understanding what's insufficient about just the first filter on its own. It means "people who clicked at least one thing other than the View Online link." You can't remove the undererlying data for the View Online link (unless you make that link untracked, of course) but this would remove people who only clicked View Online from the report.

P.S. People clicking View Online/View as Web Page is generally a good thing, at least if they're human. Not something we typically discard. It means the person can't get the layout they want in their mail client for some reason, but they do want to see what you're offering.

jf12
Level 1

Hi @SanfordWhiteman ,

Thanks for the feedback! My mistake and good catch - I meant OR, not and. 🙂 Which does end up giving a report but excludes all data for anyone that clicks View Online. The point about making the link untracked might work. Would you be able to elaborate on that or link me to some resources?

The problem we’re having is that we’re showing 3,000+ people that “click” but only 50 or so clicking on the actual CTA button (information found via the email link performance report). That’s why we don’t want to remove the data, as we’d still like to count their opens, unsubscribes, etc. We just want to be able to examine our click conversion performance specific to clicking our asset links only.

Thanks!

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Thanks for the feedback! My mistake and good catch - I meant OR, not and. 🙂 Which does end up giving a report but excludes all data for anyone that clicks View Online. The point about making the link untracked might work. Would you be able to elaborate on that or link me to some resources?

Just add class="mktNoTrack" to the link.