SOLVED

Engagement programs - remember content?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Engagement programs - remember content?

I am in a process to split a single nurture program that serviced three regions into three seperate regional nurture programs. The content will initially be the same for the new programs as in the old program. Optimization will come later. Of note, we send all nurture emails from seperate content programs.We never store the emails within the engagement program itself, but call on seperate send campaigns within the content programs. (each piece of content gets its own program)

So, the question I have is this...

There are several thousand people in various stages of the existing nurture program with each having been sent a varying number of emails within the stream. If I migrate these people to their new engagement program (with the same content), will Marketo "remember" the emails each lead was previously sent  and not attempt to send again?

Thanks,

-Michael.

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Re: Engagement programs - remember content?

Hey Michael, as long as you're making a person a member of your content programs at the time of each send (this should already be happening), Marketo will skip that content program anytime it is encountered in the future. So, as long as you're using the same content programs in your new EPs you should be fine.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Hey Michael, as long as you're making a person a member of your content programs at the time of each send (this should already be happening), Marketo will skip that content program anytime it is encountered in the future. So, as long as you're using the same content programs in your new EPs you should be fine.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Dory. That's what I suspected. Yes, I always change status to member (even though it should be automatic) when I send a nurture email from that program. Thanks for your reassurance.

Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Hey Michael, I prefer that it doesn't change automatically cause otherwise for other programs we'd have hundreds of thousands of people added to every SFDC campaign But glad that helps!

Geoff_Krajeski1
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

That is if you are using Campaign Sync with SFDC

There are many cases where I do not and will not use SDFC campaign sync. 

• Operational email sends where no follow up is needed based on member status (can be accomplished w/o SFDC sync as well)
  • Anywhere, for that matter, where no direct Sales follow up is needed
  • Where I can use an alert versus campaign member status

Much of my own personal reasoning comes from a previous employer who did not have unlimited data storage in SFDC, as most are in this boat.

SFDC constantly was 'complaining' about the size of our database, which led to us having to remove the membership data (takes up a lot of room for larger enterprise clients) from many campaigns older than X date.

Between that and eventual purges (for cleaner data, and to remove duplicate and deprecated leads/contacts) it became useless for me in that circumstance to utilize campaign sync between SFDC & Marketo.

Now, I use it for very pointed and strategic campaigns, where we either need to enable sales to have direct access (as they are not in Marketo), or I want to indicate particular interesting moments and create a 'container' where I can dump these leads (not quite via campaign sync though).

Hope this helps as well and isn't too far off topic

-Geoff

Geoff_Krajeski1
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Also, I typically will use direct flow steps in my campaigns to update status based on some activity that indicates interest or a 'hand-raiser'

Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

I agree with all of this. Just wanted to point out one reason why I love that the program status change isn't automatic