Re: Engagement Score in Email Programs

Mikes_Jones
Level 8

Engagement Score in Email Programs

Can someone explain what the "engagement score" under the Email Program dashboards mean and how it's calculated? I just sent out an email and our engagement score is 38 but only has 7 opens.

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Engagement score is an algorithm that we run to determine how engaged your target audience is.  It is based on opens, clicks, opt-outs, and other factors.  a score of 50 is average.  So 38 is a below average score.

Mikes_Jones
Level 8

Only two metrics I see in the dasboard, other than Engagement score, is Delivered (130) and Opened (8). So your'e saying the score of 38 somehow is created from these two numbers? Also, a lot of emails were not delivered due to bounces, maybe that played a part too?

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Jamie,

My understanding is that unsubscribe is also to be taken into account.

-Greg

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Marketo says that 50 is the threshold over which an email is good, and under which an email is not good. My experience is that things are slightly more complex. A few things have to be factored in:

• Is the target a completely cold one (you use your Engagement program for lead activation) or made of leads that already engaged and have already filled out at leads 1 form.
  • Are your targeting an old fashion industry or a community of geeks.
  • Are you targeting new market segment on which you are a challenger with a less known brand or you regular customers.

Based on these factors, I tend to say to my customers that on a cold target in an old fashion industry, a code of 40 is a good one. On the contrary, on a target of engaged geeks, I would expect a minimum of 60/65.

-Greg