SOLVED

Engagement Programs - 2 Streams, Same Content, Different Audiences

Go to solution
Angela_Lee
Level 1

Engagement Programs - 2 Streams, Same Content, Different Audiences

I'm currently building out an Engagement Program that consists of 2 separate streams for 2 different audiences (one called Group G and one called Group W). Group G and W receive the same content. However there CAN be situations when some one would be part of both Group G and Group W. I upload the lists that correspond to the campaign members as static lists, which are updated on a daily basis through manual upload.

How do I build out an engagement program that would ensure that one single individual would not run through both streams simultaneously? Or receive the same email twice? How could I capture who is part of both Group G and Group W?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grace_Brebner3
Level 10

Re: Engagement Programs - 2 Streams, Same Content, Different Audiences

Hey Angela,

It's not possible for an individual to be in two streams at once within a single engagement program. And, if the emails are the same asset, by default an engagement program won't allow a person to receive the same email asset twice. So, you don't need to do anything to prevent those two issues from happening.

For your last question, you can find out who meets the criteria for both by seeing who exists in both static lists. The next obvious question is "if you qualify for both, which one will you be in?" - the answer is whichever one processed its stream transitions last - which may be easy to identify or may be somewhat random, depending on the way it's set up.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Grace_Brebner3
Level 10

Hey Angela,

It's not possible for an individual to be in two streams at once within a single engagement program. And, if the emails are the same asset, by default an engagement program won't allow a person to receive the same email asset twice. So, you don't need to do anything to prevent those two issues from happening.

For your last question, you can find out who meets the criteria for both by seeing who exists in both static lists. The next obvious question is "if you qualify for both, which one will you be in?" - the answer is whichever one processed its stream transitions last - which may be easy to identify or may be somewhat random, depending on the way it's set up.

Angela_Lee
Level 1

Thanks for your reply Grace! I have a couple more questions for you that are more detailed. Would it be possible to email them to you directly?

Thanks,

Angela

Grace_Brebner3
Level 10

Feel free to ask them here, either in this thread or a new one, then you can get input from others in community too

Angela_Lee
Level 1

Thanks Grace! I just tried running the first cast to 760 members in my stream named "Stream G". However, for some reason, only 260 people received the first email. How do I find out why this happened? Not sure what sort of smart lists need to be pulled. Also, how do I try sending that first email to the "missing people?"

Grace_Brebner3
Level 10

Hey Angela,

There's a few things that could have happened here so you'll need to do some sleuthing with smart lists. Here's the first things I would look to identify in the lists:

• confirm stream membership - create a list with "member of engagement program, stream is X". Make sure this number aligns with the number you expected.
  • confirm emails sent - create a list with "was sent email X". Again, make sure this number aligns with the number you expected.
  • confirm emails not sent - create a list with "not was sent email X". Again, make sure this number aligns with the number you expected.
  • identify whether engagement program cadence might be the issue - create a list with "member of engagement program, cadence is normal", & create a list with "member of engagement program, cadence is paused". If the normal list is closer to the 260, and the paused list is closer to 500, this is likely your issue (members need to be in a normal cadence to receive the emails).
  • identify whether mailability might be the issue - create a list with "member of engagement program, stream is X", & add filters for mailability factors - email is invalid, unsubscribe is true, marketing suspend is true, etc. If the number of people with any of these mailability blocks is high, that's likely to be the source of your issue. Just note that if you add all of those filters at once, you'll need advanced logic e.g., 1 and (2 or 3 or 4 or 5) etc.

re: trying to send to those missing - if mailability is your issue, then you can't really do much unless those have been marked in error. If cadence is your issue, first ensure that the paused status is in error and not deliberate, ten run a smart campaign to set those people to normal cadence and identify the hole in your logic that caused them not to be set to normal or to be set to paused.

If those don't work then there's a bit more digging into the set up to do

Angela_Lee
Level 1

Hi Grace, I just went through and checked all the bullets you had listed above. I filtered out all the maliability up top (before they were even added to the Nurture folks). It looks like 472 people are not receiving the emails and 288 are (confirmed by the smart lists that I built). It appears that they are all in the Nurture flow with a cadence of normal. Any other suggestions you'd have here?

Grace_Brebner3
Level 10

Hey Angela,

Next thing I would check would be whether the email asset has been used anywhere else, whether it's possible that these individuals have been skipped because they'd already received the email before.

Failing that I would probably consider reaching out to Marketo Support to help identify what went wrong.

Feel free to mark my response to your initial question as correct so this thread shows as resolved within community

Angela_Lee
Level 1

Thank you Grace! I have a ticket opened with Marketo now.