Re: Engagement Program Sending Same Content Out Twice

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I'll chime in and say no.  These are very low engagement metrics - in fact, no engagement at all.  The only reason why we were capturing this "delivered" program status is one of our KPIs that we were measuring was number of "touches" (number of leads that were potentially "touched" by our outbound marketing efforts) - we're no longer measuring this.  If you really want to know this information, Marketo is already capturing it for every email that gets sent out.  So you can report on it at the aggregate level for each program or at the lead level with a smart list.

If you want to create a general program status so that program membership can be achieved/tracked, just create an "on-list" program status as your first value within the program channel.  Then, as part of your email send campaign, all you need to add is a "change program status" flow step to "is On-List".  Simple as that.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Malik,

First thing, no need to manage all steps send, delivered, opened or clicked in program statuses. Email performance reports are in Marketo for this purpose, so no need to duplicate. You may only need 2 statuses :

• On List, or targeted, to indicate the lead is a members
  • Engaged, which will be the success status. You will need to define the success : Opened ? Clicked ? Your organisation choice.

-Greg

Mikes_Jones
Level 8

Thank you and Dan Stevens​ for all your input thus far.

Just one last question that maybe one of you guys can answer. We just got new email templates created, so we are in the process of replacing all of our emails in our Engagement Program (nested in programs) with new emails (same content, just new layout). I'm assuming that Marketo is going treat these emails as "new".

So since I am now using program statuses, will leads skip these new emails since they are already members of the program or will Marketo treat these like new content and send it out again?

Thanks!

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Malik Zafar,

Yes, this is correct.

The emails will be technically new so:

• if you insert them as emails directly in the streams, they will be sent to all members of the stream as Marketo will see them as completely new content
  • if you just replace the old emails by the new emails in the smart campaigns, within your subprograms, leads who have received the old emails will not receive the new one, as this is controlled by program membership, as long as you have made them members of the programs (not just tyhe smart campaigns).

-Greg

Dan_Stevens_

Greg, are you sure about point #2?  Per my clarification comments further up in this thread, where program membership isn't required if the program is embedded/inside the EP:

If you have an OUTSIDE program (not embedded within the EP) and you add it (specifically the email send campaign) to an engagement program, the following is true:

• Leads who are members of that program, will not run through it again
  • If you are not a member of the program, but did receive the email that is sent in that program, the lead will get it again.  I think this is the situation you experienced.

If the program is INSIDE the EP, the following is true:

• If the lead has run through the program, they will not run through it again (even if they are not program members).  So while it's not required, you should still do it for engagement score purposes.
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Dan,

Running a  full test. I'll keep you posted.

Greg

Mikes_Jones
Level 8

Thanks!

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi again Dan,

So I ran a test

You are fully right, when the program is embedded, the lead does not even need to be a member of the embedded program to be filtered out of the second cast.

Here are the programs I used :

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_0.png

The funny thing is that even with the program that is not embedded in the EP, I have not been able to send the emails twice, despite all my efforts and the fact that the leads are not members of the Embedded and non Embedded programs.

I also replaced the email in the smart campaign of the embedded program, with the same result (email not sent).

I removed the programs from the stream and added them back, same result...

I replaced the smart campaigns in the programs, to ee if I would send the emails again, to no avail

-Greg

Dan_Stevens_

Thanks for testing, Greg.  I'm sure this will be helpful for others since none of this is fully explained in the actual product documentation.  Justin Cooperman​, any hope in getting the documentation updated with the insights contained in this thread?

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

I'll forward to the right people.