Engagement Engine Questions

Carrie_Lawson
Level 4

Engagement Engine Questions

Hey all,

I, like many others, am trying to learn how to utilize Engagement Streams.  We are not setting these up by stages like many others.  Since this is our first go at it it will be a 1 time run thru as we are still learning and we dont have all the timing down on how fast to turn over the assets and such.  A couple of loaded questions are below:

Backgroud: We have 4 main products that we sell.  I have created 5 streams.  1 Intro Stream and 4 others that are product specific.  We plan to send the first Intro email that provides a link to an offer that is associated for product A.  If the lead responds in a certain way then i want them to be moved from the Intro stream and be added to the next stream that will send out 3 other offers for the same product.  The deciding criteria has been added to the Transition Rules.  If the prospect does not respond in order to transition then they will receive the next product offer in the Intro Stream.

1. I am testing using my personal email.  I can get the Intro email to send and I take the appropriate action that I have stated in the Transition Rules for Stream 2, but i can't get the next stream to trigger and send when i take the action that is listed in the Transition Rules of the second stream.  Is this because I am trying to send them both in the same day?

2.  A bit confused about the testing option and documented instructions.  I looked at some of the documentation and in the testing document i found this 

Note
To test stream transition rules, carry out the necessary action as if you were a lead, then refresh the test dialog to see the stream change.

i am not sure what "refresh the test dialog" means and how to go about that so testing the transition is easier than what I have been going thru because when I use the test stream option I have to pick the stream I want to test.  I had assumed that this means that I click on the little refresh icon i the test stream pop up, but when i do this the stream doesn't change and i am sent the the offer in the first stream.

I want to make sure the lead gets added to the proper stream.  Can i get a little more details on those steps and how to test the transition rules or how to make sure they will work the way i want them to?  My consultant is out of pocket this week, so looking for any direction that can be provided.

3. Where can you see the members added to a stream and are currently waiting to be sent an eDM?  Would this be a smart list maybe that i need to create?

4. I have a team of about 5 that would like to be included in these tests.  I am not seeing an easy way to do this kind of testing so they are included.  Is the only way to do this is to add them to the program and test each motion individually like I did with myself?  Since i can set it up to be sent any earlier than 24 hours within each send doing testing like this makes it so i have to delete and re-create the lead records each time as we dont have that many email addresses for the amount of testing we need to do and then our lead is marked as being exhausted.
Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Engagement Engine Questions

Carrie,

This is a lot to try to help you with via text. Maybe you can contact me and we can do a walkthrough: jdhill@marketingrockstarguides.com.

Engagement Testing:
http://www.marketingrockstarguides.com/marketo-engagement-program-and-nurturing-testing-959/
I wrote about this and think you should read this first to get a clearer understanding of the Test function.

Testing in general with Marketo requires some of these steps:
  1. Create test leads that meet the criteria of entry to the Engagement
  2. those leads can be your team or other leads you make up. Put them in a smart list like Email Address = this list of people
  3. if you have wait steps or time constraints, you must change ALL of those to 1 minute (or something like that) in order to get this to work, otherwise you will wait forever as a Tester.
  4. Each time you finish a test run, you might have to reset the lead's values or even create new leads.
Carrie_Lawson
Level 4

Re: Engagement Engine Questions

i tried to email you, but the email wont go thru.

Thank you for your response.  It was helpful, but not all the way.  Is the only way to test this is for it to take a full week to do?  I am guessing that you can’t send more than 1 email in a day correct? So there is no way of knowing if your test is working until the next day?

My stream is VERY basic right now.  We were going to send 1 email every week or maybe 2 weeks to start out with.  I have no wait steps as the Cadence should take care of that part.  If I can make sure the transitions will take place I will be good to go on this one.  We are taking baby steps as I learn more.