Re: Emojis in subject – sometimes works, sometimes not.

Eric_Eggebrecht
Level 1

Emojis in subject – sometimes works, sometimes not.

Hi,

I am having trouble using emojicons (Q-encoded) in my subject lines. 

When I use this subject line "Schauen Sie sich unser Produktvideo an " it works. No matter emoji I use.  The code in the back-end is still "Schauen Sie sich unser Produktvideo an =?utf-8?Q?=F0=9F=91=8B?=" . 

If I use this subject "Schön, Sie kennenzulernen, Eric Eggebrecht =?utf-8?Q?=F0=9F=8E=A5?=" it doesn't work. No matter what Emoji-code I use. 

In the first case it shows the emoji, in the 2nd it doesn't. I tried it several email assistants – doesn't matter. It's always the same. 

Has anybody an idea why this may happen?

Many thanks

Eric

7 REPLIES 7
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Q-encode that o umlaut.

Lucas_Metherall
Level 4

Hi Sanford,

I have Q-encoded a heart emoji, (U+2764) using your tool on your blog, added it as a token (text token) to the program to insert it into a sentence, but in live sample testing it reads as a string of text: Supersize your =?UTF-8?Q?=E2=9D=A4=EF=B8=8F?= love =?UTF-8?Q?=E2=9D=A4=EF=B8=8F?= this Valentine’s Day

in Outlook and Gmail.

What am I doing wrong/what should I do differently?

Thanks!

destinietucker
Level 1

Hi Sanford,

I'm experiencing the same issue. The basketball emoji code I've been using for months did not return the symbol.  I ran a subject line test that consisted of 3 variations. The TV emoji code worked. Trying to figure out why the b-ball emoji is not working.

Basketball emoji code:

destinietucker_0-1594707375550.png

Thank you,

Destinie

SanfordWhiteman

Here's an email I just sent with a Q-encoded basketball/hoop:

2020-07-14 02_55_10-Inbox (74) - figureonecpr@gmail.com - Gmail.png

Using the standard Q-encoded form:

=?UTF-8?Q?=F0=9F=8F=80?=

destinietucker
Level 1

Hi Sanford, 

Thanks for your reply. Experiencing an issue with the q-code script in the A/B testing feature specifically. Are there any non-ASCII characters that alter the q-code? The emoji returns fine for me as well when I deploy directly from the email program without testing.

Thank you in advance,

Destinie

SanfordWhiteman

Can you save the source of a received email from the AB test to a .EML file (i.e. including all headers) and attach it here? Not the original email from inside Marketo but the received one from your inbox.

Please don't paste the source in the post in this case, I want to look at it in the rawest form.

SanfordWhiteman

I just tested and didn't have a problem with Q-encoded Emojis in a Subject line AB test.