Re: Emojis in Preheader

Michael_McGowa1
Level 3

Emojis in Preheader

Has anyone had success in putting emojis in the preheader? I have been able to do it in the subject line by following the method here https://blog.teknkl.com/yes-you-can-use-emojis-in-marketo-subject-lines/?marketo-nation but when I follow the same method for the preheader, the code renders and not the emoji. If I try putting the emoji in the preheader text, then the rest of the text disappears. I also tried making the preheader a token but that did not help. Any advice?

14 REPLIES 14
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Q-encoding won't work in the preheader in any case (as it's part of the HTML). Try placing the raw Emoji characters in a Velocity {{my.token}} (but not using the built-in Preheader shortcut, actually build it into the termplate).

Michael_McGowa1
Level 3

Unfortunately, that did not work. I also tried saving the raw emoji as a text file, then rich text file in the tokens window and those did not work either.  FYI, I am putting this code in my styles tag

span.preheader { display: none !important;}

Then the following after the body tag.

<span class="preheader">{{my.clipboardemoji}} Earn Cash Just by Completing Free Surveys Online {my.moneybagsutf}}</span>

Thoughts?

SanfordWhiteman

You're missing a left curly brace {.

I don't know what you mean by "file" here — in any case, I'd need to see the contents of your Velocity token. It won't work in a Text token, definitely not in a RT token.

Michael_McGowa1
Level 3

So that bracket has been fix. Here is what I am putting into the script for the clipboard emoji

=?UTF-8?Q?=F0=9F=93=9D?=

Here is the code for the moneybags emoji

=?UTF-8?Q?=F0=9F=92=B0?=

I also on a hunch tried putting the actual emoji into the script (without the utf code). That did not work either.

SanfordWhiteman

I must not've been clear: Q-encoding  (which is what you're attempting here, and which works in Subject: lines as well as To: and From:) is not pertinent to the email body.

Q-encoding is for places, like those headers, where only raw ASCII characters are supported. In order to represent Unicode characters for eventual output, Q-encoding is a way of using special sequences of ASCII that the mail client knows to read as either UTF8 or UTF16 or even UTF32 and then output the appropriate characters.  

Q-encoding is the same concept as Percent-encoding (URL-encoding) except that %-encoding only does UTF8.  

But Q-encoding only has special meaning in certain places.  If you just plop it into HTML it's not specially-meaningful-ASCII, it's just ASCII.

So what I'm saying about the preheader — which is part of HTML, not a real header — is that you need to use either the actual Emoji characters (copied and pasted right into a Velocity token, where they will automatically be UTF8-encoded and eventually QP-encoded but you don't need to worry about those steps, because they're out of your control!) or the HTML escape sequences for the characters, like 

&#128540;

Michael_McGowa1
Level 3

I did try that and unfortunately, that did not work. I first tried saving each emoji as a separate script but then the preheader would not appear at all. Also trying the entire preheader as one script i.e.

📝 Earn Cash Just by Completing Free Surveys Online! 💰

Gave me the same result and nothing showed up. Finally, when I go back to the scripts with emojis in them, and try to open them up to edit them, they do not open which is strange. 

SanfordWhiteman

Works for me. This is the HTML entity code in a Velocity token.

2020-04-23 23_24_11-Inbox (142) - figureonecpr@gmail.com - Gmail.png

Michael_McGowa1
Level 3

Would you post your code just so I am sure that I am not missing anything? I tried it again and it still is not working for me. 

SanfordWhiteman

Simple as

It's an awesome sale! &#128540;

in a Velocity token.