Emails delivered but not received !

Anonymous
Not applicable

Emails delivered but not received !

Hi,

We face up a new issue : we have in our campaigns many emails delivered correctly (Marketo dashboard, "activity type : email delivered") but none received by our targets.

We figure it out because few of them told us when we talked them about the last emails sent.

So, we sent emails, detected by Marketo as received but it is not the case.

Please, any ideas ?

Many thanks

Alexandre

7 REPLIES 7
Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Emails delivered but not received !

"Delivered" simply means the server on the receiving end successfully received the emails.  Often times when spam is detected (which varies based on how the spam filters are configured at each organization), the email servers won't even route the emails to the intended users. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you also receive a bounced email shortly after the email was delivered (on their activity log)?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Dan and Josh !

Indeed, there was no soft or hard bounce notification. And the receivers did not get the emails even in the spams..

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think indeed as Dan said it's a problem of strenght of the firewall of companies... more or less strong.

How could we fight that ? Without asking for the contacts to whitelist us !!!

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Asking to be whitelisted is probably a no-go, unless you have an intimate relationship with your correspondents *and* they in turn have a friendly relationship with their IT (usually it's the latter that's the real problem).

You should test with a text-only email with no links to control the test as much as you can. If it still gets bit-bucketed, you can be pretty sure they're blocking based on Marketo's IP range and/or envelope sender. You can sign up for a dedicated IP and branded sender domain to attempt to work around those, but don't expect miracles.

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Sanford is spot-on.  We have a client that blocks ALL email that's sent from Marketo servers (not just by us).  Our executive level contact at the account agreed to work with IT to properly whitelist us (while still keeping the master Marketo block in place).  This was over three months ago.  And it's still not in place.  We're even on Marketo's trusted IP range of addresses.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well my though was shot down which is good.

The only thing that I would test now is to clone the campaign you were sending but modify the smart list so that it sends your your own personal test lead.  I'd suggest using an email address outside of your company's and give the campaign a run.  We've had some issues in the past where this was helpful in our ability to understand the issue.  If the issue doesn't present itself then I'd reach out to Marketo in a case to get some clarification.

But yes - Dan is correct as we are seeing companies strengthen their filters and start to limit some of our deliverability.