Email link will not re-cookie lead

Anonymous
Not applicable

Email link will not re-cookie lead

I am trying to confirm that sending an email with a tracked link will "re-cookie" an improperly cookied lead.

For Example:

Lets say that I am lead "123" with email address 123@gmail.com
Browsing activity is successfully associated with this lead "123"

Now, I connect my browser to the wrong lead by filling out a form with the email address 456@gmail.com
Browsing activity is now associated with lead "456"

Then I send a tracked marketo email with a tracked link to 123@gmail.com
I click the link and am taken to a munchkin tracked page on our site and begin browsing

The sent, delivered, opened, and clicked email actions are associated with the "123" lead

But, the initial page visit and subsequent browsing activity is still associated with "456" 

Any ideas on what could be going on here?
Also, am I correct to assume that clicking a tracked email link will "re-cookie" a lead?

Thank You,
Josh

Tags (1)
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Email link will not re-cookie lead

Hey Josh,
Yes, clicking a link in an email should overwrite the cookie.

It sounds like Munchkin may not be working correctly on the resultant page. Have you tried doing the same while linking to a Marketo Landing Page?

Best,
Will
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response. Yes, that was a Marketo landing page. Any idea what it may be?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Josh,
Perhaps Munchkin is not loading on the Landing Page for some reason. To test, I would visit the webpage with the developer tools of your browser opened. While in the network tab of Dev Tools, reload the page and make sure that "Munchkin.js" and the "visitWebPage" scripts are both running. 

It may be the case where there is a conflicting script or incompatible version of jQuery. (Currently, non-beta Munchkin only supports jQuery 1.3-1.8).

If you cannot determine the issue from here, feel free to open a support case and we can take a look!

Will
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I'm also having the same issue. It seems to be based on the last form I've filled out, not the email cookie. We've tested it across three users in our office, and all are having the same issue. It's a marketo landing page, so munchkin should be working correctly.

Here's an example of the page, if that's helpful: http://info.thoughtfarmer.com/Client-Info-Update.html
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting.  I am still trying to get this resolved with Marketo support.
I will pass it on to the Marketo Technical Support person I am working with.

Thank You,
Josh
Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Yes, please keep us updated about what support says here. What you described should work.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cheers, I just submitted a support ticket as well. Thank you so much!

Yeah, it's intresting. If we try it in private browsers, the form will not pre-populate with anything, leading me to believe email tokens actually don't work at all. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you get any response to the support ticket you put in for this? I'm having the same issue.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I think the question is why you were expecting that clicking a tracked email link will always re-associate an already-associated cookie with the latest lead.  It's not documented to work that way.

If you want the most current lead to be associated with future Visit Web Page/Click Link events, then when you see a mkt_tok, delete any existing cookies before running Munchkin.init().  Then you'll get a new cookie, and that cookie will be associated from the start with the new lead.