SOLVED

Re: Email address prefill on Marketo form on Marketo Landing Page

Go to solution
Lucas_Metherall
Level 4

Email address prefill on Marketo form on Marketo Landing Page

Hi all,

We have finally (finally!) set up Marketo landing pages with a useable subdomain, and I have built an unsubscribe form which sits on an unsubscribe landing page.

In my initial tests, the email address was pulling through when I clicked a link from a live email, but in recent tests it is not.

Questions:

- what's the deal?

- Does email prefill not work even if a lead clicks the link in an email and it goes to a MKTO landing page and MKTO form?

- Can lead.email address token be used in a field in a form? (I'm also searching community forum for that answer)

- Do I still need to add ?mkt_unsubscribe=1&mkt_tok=##MKT_TOK## to the end of the link?

Thanks,

Lucas

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Does email prefill not work even if a lead clicks the link in an email and it goes to a MKTO landing page and MKTO form?

That's in fact the one situation in which Pre-Fill works out of the box!

However:

• the link must include the mkt_tok query param, i.e. the either the link must be tracked or the mkt_tok needs to be deliberately added
  • Pre-Fill must be allowed at the global Admin level, the LP level, and the Form level
  • the mkt_tok eventually expires — but not for 6 months

- Can lead.email address token be used in a field in a form? (I'm also searching community forum for that answer)

Technically: No. I wouldn't use it because you can break the form completely if you have certain uncommon characters in the Email Address, and I'm a stickler for adhering to standards and not leaving any weird edge cases out there.

Practically: Yes. In 99.999% of real-world cases you will be fine because of the values expected for the particular field {{Lead.Email Address}},though certainly not for all lead fields.

- Do I still need to add ?mkt_unsubscribe=1&mkt_tok=##MKT_TOK## to the end of the link?

Not if it's a regular tracked link, that'll be added automatically.

View solution in original post

Katja_Keesom
Level 10 - Community Advisor

One thing to be careful with in testing programs like this is your cookies. If you tested with more than one email address, you are likely to have collected more than one cookie on your device as well. This can cause Marketo to get confused on "who you are" resulting in the form no longer prefilling.

You can prevent this by either clearing your cookies between each test or run each test in an incognito browser session (don't forget to close your incognito windows and reopen a new session for each new test).

SanfordWhiteman

Katja is right, the mkt_tok also must correspond to the already-associated lead, if there is one. A conflict will result in Pre-Fill being disabled.

(You could also use my cross-domain Pre-Fill JS library which is not subject to these restrictions.)

SanfordWhiteman

Use the string "yes" or string "no" (without the quotes of course).

8 REPLIES 8
SanfordWhiteman

Does email prefill not work even if a lead clicks the link in an email and it goes to a MKTO landing page and MKTO form?

That's in fact the one situation in which Pre-Fill works out of the box!

However:

• the link must include the mkt_tok query param, i.e. the either the link must be tracked or the mkt_tok needs to be deliberately added
  • Pre-Fill must be allowed at the global Admin level, the LP level, and the Form level
  • the mkt_tok eventually expires — but not for 6 months

Technically: No. I wouldn't use it because you can break the form completely if you have certain uncommon characters in the Email Address, and I'm a stickler for adhering to standards and not leaving any weird edge cases out there.

Practically: Yes. In 99.999% of real-world cases you will be fine because of the values expected for the particular field {{Lead.Email Address}},though certainly not for all lead fields.

Not if it's a regular tracked link, that'll be added automatically.

Lucas_Metherall
Level 4

Thanks Sanford, appreciated.

Lucas_Metherall
Level 4

Hi Sanford,

Newbie question here.

My unsubscribe page is a MKTO form on a MKTO landing page.

In the form, I have a field; email address (prefill enabled, tested successfully), and a field unsubscribed [type=hidden].Prefill is enabled in all fields on the form.

The default value though - what will work for MKTO? Value = Y/Yes/True?

I just ran a test and my record was not unsubscribed.

SanfordWhiteman

Use the string "yes" or string "no" (without the quotes of course).

Lucas_Metherall
Level 4

My test record's activity log is recording the form fill, but reporting:

Email: lucas.metherall+WildlifeSG@gmail.com
Unsubscribed: false
UnsubscribedReason: I don’t remember signing up for them

Katja_Keesom
Level 10 - Community Advisor

One thing to be careful with in testing programs like this is your cookies. If you tested with more than one email address, you are likely to have collected more than one cookie on your device as well. This can cause Marketo to get confused on "who you are" resulting in the form no longer prefilling.

You can prevent this by either clearing your cookies between each test or run each test in an incognito browser session (don't forget to close your incognito windows and reopen a new session for each new test).

SanfordWhiteman

Katja is right, the mkt_tok also must correspond to the already-associated lead, if there is one. A conflict will result in Pre-Fill being disabled.

(You could also use my cross-domain Pre-Fill JS library which is not subject to these restrictions.)

Lucas_Metherall
Level 4

Thanks Katia, appreciated.