SOLVED

Email Validation Script Conflict?

Go to solution
Jason_Keller3
Level 2

Email Validation Script Conflict?

While I know that the free-email blocker script isn't a fav of everyone, I do need it for a specific use-case. However on this template, it looks like the validation is not working.

The script is right before the closing body tag, so I don't think placement is the issue. I do have another script calling the form to add a hidden field, but that script is below the script in question (and is working) - so I am not sure if that is what is causing the script not to work.

Here's a sample page: Test

Thanks for any help troubleshooting!

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Email Validation Script Conflict?

The code is looking for a field "EAU". You don't have this field on your form.

(And regarding this code, it's not simply that blocking certain domains isn't to everybody's liking -- I happen to be okay with the *principle* -- it's that the code does not work. It has blatant errors, both false positives and false negatives, and that's not because of the principle itself but b/c of a bug-filled implementation.)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman

The code is looking for a field "EAU". You don't have this field on your form.

(And regarding this code, it's not simply that blocking certain domains isn't to everybody's liking -- I happen to be okay with the *principle* -- it's that the code does not work. It has blatant errors, both false positives and false negatives, and that's not because of the principle itself but b/c of a bug-filled implementation.)

Jason_Keller3
Level 2

Thanks, I will change that field reference and then retest.

And yeah, it is definitely not perfect. I just want to limit the major personal addresses though; if someone has the email "@gmail-is-not-my-email.com" then I probably still don't want them to fill out this particular form.

For the record, I would probably want a tool like https://blog.teknkl.com/flowboost-fbemail-for-domains/  and have that as a proper email filter/validator on forms, but right now my stack/config is pretty bare bones; I don't think I'm ready for that level of sophistication.  

SanfordWhiteman

If someone's email is <sandy@outlook.klmanufacturing.com>, that's a legitimate business email address, ditto for <sandy@live.channel1.org>. It's just too leaky (and for no really good reason, since an in-depth list of thousands of international freemail domains exists!).