SOLVED

Re: Email Tracking Links Cause URL's to go to Fallback page

Go to solution
Ariel_Sasso
Level 4

Email Tracking Links Cause URL's to go to Fallback page

I am working on a recently migrated instance and am coming across an interesting problem. When I add the "track link" to the URL"s within an email, and send myself a test, the email links are going to the fall back page. However, when I remove the "track link" the URL's work perfectly fine. I ran a DNS/Domain/Cname test and everything looks okay, but I still feel this is a Cname issue. I am also experiencing an issue with the munchkin code. It is showing up on the website, but it is not firing when tested.

Has anyone experienced something like this before or has suggestions on additional testing or potential issues?

Ariel Sasso
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Hi Ariel,

The tracking (branding) domain(s) and the the landing page domain(s) require different CNAMEs.

It sounds like this instance has them reversed. In a proper setup, LP domains are CNAMEs for {{something}}.mktoweb.com, and tracking domains are CNAMEs for mkto-{{something}}.com.

The fallback page is for nonexistent or unapproved LPs, hence the click tracking server should not be aware of it.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
SanfordWhiteman

Hi Ariel,

The tracking (branding) domain(s) and the the landing page domain(s) require different CNAMEs.

It sounds like this instance has them reversed. In a proper setup, LP domains are CNAMEs for {{something}}.mktoweb.com, and tracking domains are CNAMEs for mkto-{{something}}.com.

The fallback page is for nonexistent or unapproved LPs, hence the click tracking server should not be aware of it.

Ariel_Sasso
Level 4

Great insight, looking into it now.

Ariel Sasso
Ariel_Sasso
Level 4

Thank you Sanford, I spent so much time troubleshooting, and I was looking in the right direction but did not think to look at the email cname.  I am reaching out to their IT team, but it looks like they have the same cname for both the landing page and email. This doesn't sound possible but I will let you know once I find the exact issue. Thank you so much!

Ariel Sasso
SanfordWhiteman

Right, the only way to successfully share the same hostname for both would be with a very complex (and ultimately not-worth-it) reverse proxy setup (not just DNS). I'm sure they just didn't realize they needed two CNAMEs.

Ariel_Sasso
Level 4

Thank you 😃

Ariel Sasso