Re: Email Script Token only displaying some field values

Alex_Firtl
Level 2

Email Script Token only displaying some field values

I'm working on building out some Email Script tokens for an email referencing the Salesforce Case object (which is related directly to the Contact in Marketo -- screenshot attached).

pastedImage_2.png

This is the Email Script token that is not pulling anything when sampling the email (there is a value in SFDC in this field).

pastedImage_1.png

Meanwhile, this token does pull in a value when sampling the email.

pastedImage_3.png

Any idea why there's a difference between these two seemingly similar tokens?

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Let's get some better debugging info.

Add the line

${display.list($CaseList,"\u000a")}

and then preview the Text version of the email in the context of a lead.

Alex_Firtl
Level 2

Here's what it returned with that debug code added. I know that the Event_Estimated_Number_of_Attendees__c on this particular record has a value of 50 though.

{Event_Date_Direct__c=2019-07-18, Venue__c=The Ritz Charles - Overland Park,KS, Event_Estimated_Number_of_Attendees__c=null, Event_Registration_Start__c=null, Event_Venue_Contact_Note__c=null, Event_GC_Ticketing__c=null, Event_GC_Sales__c=null}              
SanfordWhiteman

It's not, though. It's null. Marketo can't lie about that.

Now maybe in SFDC it's 50, but it's synced to Mkto as null.

Alex_Firtl
Level 2

How would I fix that discrepancy then? Would I need to disable the sync for the Case object, and re-enable it again to get those values pushed over from SFDC?

SanfordWhiteman

Yes, try disabling and reenabling sync. And ensure that the Marketo sync user can read that field.

Alex_Firtl
Level 2

Just disabled and reenabled sync on that object, and it's still not pulling values. Submitted a quick case, and they said that it likely has something to do with the Java in the Email Script token. Kind of a deadend for me on this one, so we might end up engaging an external resource (or perhaps a developer on our product team) to help us out here. Thanks for the help though Sanford!

SanfordWhiteman

They're telling you nonsense, really.

There's no one in the world who knows more about Velocity in Marketo than I do, and if that value dumps as null, it's null.

SanfordWhiteman

If anybody is lurking, Alex and I worked on this offline and added a new test field (unrelated to the existing field, but of the same Number type) to the Case object and reenabled the SFDC sync (Alex had already simply disabled/enabled the sync, but hadn't changed the schema at all).

After that, the values were displayed, including for the new field and the old field.

Provisionally, then, we are assuming that when Marketo saw the schema was actually changed on the SFDC side, only then did it truly refresh on the Marketo side, perhaps (most likely) changing a data type that was originally wrong.

This had nothing at all to do with the Velocity code.