Email Providers Report

Anonymous
Not applicable

Email Providers Report

Is there a way in Marketo to generate a report that shows the top email providers used to open emails? (i.e. gmail, hotmail, outlook, etc.)?

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: Email Providers Report

Hi Candice,

Not easy.

Much easier to do in SFDC, where you can easily create an "email domain" formula field, mark the leads who opened an email from Marketo (adding them to a campaign) and run a report on campaign members, using the "email domain" as a summary field.

-Greg

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Another idea is to use that "email domain" field, but run the report in Marketo : use a lead performance report, group by "email domain".

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Greg.  Unfortunately, we don't use Sales Force so I'll have to come up with a different way.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Export to Excel, group by partial string match on Email Address.

ETA: Candice, you talked about "email provider" but seem to be mixing together mail user-agents (webmail clients, desktop apps, mobile apps) and email hosting providers (Gmail, Hotmail).  For example, Outlook is an MUA that can be used by any provider supporting Exchange/IMAP/POP3 hosting.  Gmail can be read using the web-based MUA or by many standalone apps -- including Outlook. If you're looking to do deep analysis, you're going to need offline data crunching.  As Josh said, it's still going to be at best directional and never 100% precise.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Candice,

I you use another CRM with a double-way sync such as MS Dynamics, the same method would work.

Otherwise, Sanford's way is the simplest.

-Greg

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

You can do this with the Opened Email or Clicked Email filters and use the Browser or Device filter.

You will need to group the values and smart lists like:

Gmail or Public

Outlook variants

iOS Mobile

Android Mobile

Windows Mobile

etc.

I've done this and it's a bit of a pain. Make sure you only look at the last 7 or 14 days of data (30 if you don't email much) otherwise it will take a long time to generate the number.

Keep in mind this will only be DIRECTIONAL because Marketo is not reconciling the numbers and could double or triple count as people move between devices.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Josh,

Wondering if this is the current status quo. I am trying to look at our past email send (250,000 emails) based on using design informant in Deliverability Tools. There are some where our emails aren't rendering and we wanted to know how much of our population is using those applications to open emails.

MobileWindowsWebmail
Gmail App iOS 7 Lotus Notes 6.5, 7, 8, or 8.5Any Yahoo (minus IE 10 and 11)
Android GmailOutlook 2003Terra – Chrome
Android 5.1.0LiveMailAny AOL

This seems pretty granular and I am not sure there is a way to see this specific of an insight? Thanks for your time.