Email Preference Center - Syncing Updated Data to Salesforce

Anonymous
Not applicable

Email Preference Center - Syncing Updated Data to Salesforce

Hi Community,

I'm in the process of building our email preference center and am stumped on the best way to approach this issue. As a preface our email preference center will actually be similar to Marketo's - specifically the field that autofills the email for known leads. Email Subscription Center - Marketo 

My Challenge:

If a known lead decides to change their email address in that email field - how do I prevent a new lead from being created in my CRM (Salesforce) as the email data will be brand new? Is there a way to ensure that the email gets updated in Salesforce for that Lead or Contact record and no new lead is created? 

I want to avoid having our CRM filled with blank leads only containing email data and nothing else.

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions!

Thanks,

Sandy

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Email Preference Center - Syncing Updated Data to Salesforce

Hi Sandy,

In Marketo, you specify who *does* sync over to CRM, rather than who *does not*, so I don't think there's an easy solution here. However, it seems pretty unlikely that a significant number of leads would be created via your unsubscribe page, especially if you have prefill enabled on it so the email address prepopulates. If you're seeing a significant number of such leads, it may be that the page's prefill isn't working.

Grant

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Email Preference Center - Syncing Updated Data to Salesforce

See

Building a Full Subscription Center in Marketo -Marketing Rockstar Guides

on handling this with Not You?

But as Grant said, the # of people who may come in this way will  be nearly 0.

Your sync process should only sync the leads you want to have in your CRM. Some firms create a smart list like

First Name IS NOT EMPTY

Last Name IS NOT EMPTY

Email Address IS NOT EMPTY

etc...

although SFDC usually blocks blanks like that in the default setup.