Re: Email Links Cached from Old Email

Jeff_Smith3
Level 7

Email Links Cached from Old Email

I have an email that was used last month for the same event. I changed the content and links, but when I send myself a sample and test the links, they are taking me to where the old email was linking. Since those are no longer active, it's just showing a 404 error page. When I view the email as a web page, I'm taken to the correct place. When I hover over the button in the email, the pop-up shows the wrong link (last email's link); but when I open up that email's HTML, the link is correct. This happened once before a couple months ago with a totally separate event and web page. The common denominators are that the email is cloned and the links are directing to our company's website (not Marketo landing page). Does anyone have an answer for this? Does Marketo cache information from the email that you clone from and then apply a redirect? I cleared the cache on my computer, which did nothing. I also forwarded the email to a co-worker, and the links worked fine. But then someone else who got the email notified us that this was also happening to them. It seems unpredictable and is quite frustrating. Any ideas why the old links (that aren't in this email at all) would be remembered and take priority over the links inserted in the HTML? Our web team created some redirects as a temporary fix, but we're all baffled and figure this must be a back-end Marketo issue.

4 REPLIES 4
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Jeff,

This is weird. I suppose you Have checked the modified email is approved...

You can create a redirect with the old URL to you new landing page (admin -> Landing Pages -> Rules). This will prevent the error 404, but not fix the root cause, though.

-Greg

Jeff_Smith3
Level 7

We have redirects in place, but like you said, this isn't an acceptable solution. And yes, the emails are approved. Very weird, indeed!

Jeff_Smith3
Level 7

This would be the equivalent of Marketo sending out an email about the upcoming Marketo Summit, with links to the Early Bird Special. When the customer clicks the link, it takes them to a page for the Super Early Bird (which is now a 404 error), since that's the link from their previous email for the Summit.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi again Jeff,

Worth a ticket to support, I think.

-Greg