Email Invalid

Anonymous
Not applicable

Email Invalid

Does Marketo clean out invalid emails automatically, so if sent a second email with those same folks, they would not be counted in the deliver rate?

Lindsay
Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Re: Email Invalid

Hi Lindsay, if someone is marked as email invalid then Marketo won't try to email them again -- and they won't be counted in future deliverability/send metrics. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you know if Marketo automatically flags hard bounced emails as "invalid"? Or is that a manual step I need to take? I am creating a smart campaign to do that, but am unsure if this is necessary.

Anonymous
Not applicable

We flag hard bounces due to invalid email addresses automatically. There are hard bounces that can occur for other reasons (technical issues and spam) and those do not get flagged as email invalid, since in theory those issues could be resolved for a future send.

Anonymous
Not applicable

And if I then edit an invalid email, is the Email Invalid flag automatically tripped to false?

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, you need to set up a campaign to do that automatically.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If Marketo determines an email is invalid, they will not be sent the second email and not effect your delivery rates. However, both valid and invalid leads still go through the flow steps of any campaign if the smart list includes them.

So if you are sending an email, then changing the program status, leads with invalid email addresses will not be sent the email, but they will become a member of that program.
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you want to exclude them from your campaigns just add where Email Invalid is FALSE and you'll include everyone who does NOT have an invalid email address.  For my purposes, I don't ever want an invalid email in one of my campaigns so I filter them out.  I also exclude anyone I have flagged as Marketing Suspend, any potential Black List folks and anyone who has Unsubscribed, from receiving our campaigns.  (I set all of those fields to False and that excludes anyone in those groups that I do NOT want)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lindsay,

Marketo does not clean out invalid emails automatically. They are collected in the System smart list; Bounced Email, which captures leads marked as Email Invalid = TRUE. From there, you’d have to manually remove them. But they will be excluded from all future email sends.

Thanks!

Wena