SOLVED

Re: Email Footer Best Practices - Social Icons

Go to solution
S_D1
Level 4

Email Footer Best Practices - Social Icons

Hi,

Is there any best practices around email footers? Do we absolutely need social icons?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Roberts
Level 10

I don't think you need social icons, but most of the business email and landing page footers I've seen have them in there somehow. 

In terms of best practices, you'll want to include:

1) an unsubscribe link

2) a physical business address

3) links to privacy policy, terms of use, etc (legalese) 

In terms of implementation, I'd recommend using snippets for the header and footer modules so that you can quickly update the snippet and make one-to-many changes when things need to get updated (like a rebrand, or new social channel, etc). Snippets also come in handy for translations if you're working across different geos.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Dave_Roberts
Level 10

I don't think you need social icons, but most of the business email and landing page footers I've seen have them in there somehow. 

In terms of best practices, you'll want to include:

1) an unsubscribe link

2) a physical business address

3) links to privacy policy, terms of use, etc (legalese) 

In terms of implementation, I'd recommend using snippets for the header and footer modules so that you can quickly update the snippet and make one-to-many changes when things need to get updated (like a rebrand, or new social channel, etc). Snippets also come in handy for translations if you're working across different geos.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Agreed with Dave that there certainly is no "absolute need" at all.

But one thing to remember, if you do include social links, is mail scanners will simulate Clicked Link on the links. And (like with all 3rd-party links) you won't have a subsequent Visit Web Page, let alone Filled Out Form, to have a reference point for how many were human clicks. So don't take clicks on these links as significant. You may even want to set them to untracked.