SOLVED

Re: Effect on Marketo Performance of Checking Filters in Flow vs Smart List

Go to solution
Denise_Greenb12
Level 7

Effect on Marketo Performance of Checking Filters in Flow vs Smart List

I have a situation in which a set of "Add to Nurture" campaigns sometimes fail to trigger for new leads because there are a number of filters - all reliant upon data coming from SFDC - where all leads enter first - never in Marketo first. So sometimes at the moment a trigger fires, Marketo doesn't yet have all the information from SFDC and the lead fails to qualify for the campaign. I came up with a fix for this, which is to evaluate the majority of the qualifiers in the Flow after a 30-minute wait step rather than by using filters in the Smart List. My client asked me if using this method would be more resource-intensive - and my guess would be no -since either way, Marketo has to evaluate the same set of filters - but I'm not actually certain of this. Does anyone know?

In more detail - here's what I mean:

Current "Add to" Campaign

Smart List::

Trigger 1

Trigger 2

Trigger 3

Trigger 4

etc.

Filter 1

Filter 2

Filter 3

Filter 4

etc.

Flow:

Add to Nurture

Proposed New "Add to" Campaign

Smart List::

Trigger 1

Trigger 2

Trigger 3

Trigger 4

etc.

[Filters Marketo can't miss, like Member of Engagement Program is False]

Flow:

1) Wait 30 Minutes

2) If NOT Member of Smart List->Qualifies, Remove from Flow

3) Add to Nurture

Note that I'm using the combination of the external "Qualifes" Smart List and Remove from Flow because there are already choices in the Add to Nurture Flow step that govern which stream the lead is added to so I can't check the attributes there.

Thank you for any insight!

Denise

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Denise_Greenb12
Level 7

Update: I thought of a way to make the processing faster. I changed the "Qualifies" Smart List to a "Disqualifies" Smart List using "Any" for the filter logic. Then I remove anyone from the "Add to" campaign who is in Disqualifies. Then I called Marketo Support who said that this new way is actually less resource intensive then the original.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Denise_Greenb12
Level 7

Update: I thought of a way to make the processing faster. I changed the "Qualifies" Smart List to a "Disqualifies" Smart List using "Any" for the filter logic. Then I remove anyone from the "Add to" campaign who is in Disqualifies. Then I called Marketo Support who said that this new way is actually less resource intensive then the original.