Re: Editing templates

Jen_Wason1
Level 2

Editing templates

We are new to Marketo and creating our first sets of emails. We are frustrated with what appear to be the limitations of the templates. Are we only permitted to use the modules already available in a given template? We can't add additional modules? I am so accustomerd to using MailChimp to design emails, I just can't believe Marketo is this inflexible -- we must be missing something.

We also are unable to edit the dimensions of any photos we add from our local computer or the design studio.

Any help anyone can offer us newcomers is welcome!

21 REPLIES 21
JD_Nelson
Level 10 - Community Advisor

It looks like you're working within a template, not creating one. From Design Studio you can find the Email folder with the Templates sub folder. When you create a new template from there you start from raw html. Modules can be fully designed and customized using variables and can be re-used many times per email. The platform really is expansive, so make sure to look around. Here's a doc that can help:

Building Templates: Create an Email Template - Marketo Docs - Product Documentation

Template module syntax: Email Template Syntax - Marketo Docs - Product Documentation

Jen_Wason1
Level 2

Thank you so much for your response! Unfortunately, we are not well-equipped to create emails from scratch using HTML, especially not in the short-term. I just can't believe that a basic set of modules is not available for all email templates, as in MailChimp or other tools. Sounds like our best option right now is to the find a template that contains as many modules as we might need.

But is there a reason why we would not be able to edit image dimensions? Those options are greyed out when we select an image from our computer or the design studio.

JD_Nelson
Level 10 - Community Advisor

When you enabled Email 2.0 did you enable the template picker? There are a bunch of starter template to use there. From there, if you edit the raw HTML to 'make it your own' you can then save that as a new template in design studio and continue to expand on it in the future. If, when you create a new email you don't see the template picker, there's an option in admin to enable that.

Email Template Picker Overview - Marketo Docs - Product Documentation

Jen_Wason1
Level 2

I think we've realized that picking the template that has most of what we need and then planning to add what else we need is how we need to proceed. I appreciate you confirming that we're on the right track.

Cory_Gabor1
Level 4

Hi Jen,

Yes, there are plenty of email templates once "Email 2.0" is enabled. When our developer is too busy to work on emails I utilize these a lot and after a little practice, you will see you can actually change them up a decent amount to get close to what you originally wanted. You can take whatever template looks closest to your end product and then make changes to the modules and sections. It allows a low of changes; graphics to text section, or the other way around, etc.

If you run into too many issues using those templates, I would recommend using knak. We used this when we first started using Marketo as well. https://knak.io/

knak. | Responsive Marketo & Eloqua Email and Landing Page Templates

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out!

Hank_Hansen
Level 5

It's a shame Knak changed their plan options with the cheapest now being $250/mo paid annually. I was going to be a client at $99/mo but they killed that option from what I can see.

Tom_Kerlin2
Level 8

It's possible to edit the dimension of images when you're in the email editor but the image itself needs to be in an editable rich text or image element.

Tom Kerlin
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jen,

You most likely can't change the image size in the email editor because the image has a mktoLockImgStyle="True" attribute on it in the HTML. This keeps the image from distorting the layout if its size exceeds the maximum size allowed by the layout.

I'm an email developer who has created custom email templates specifically for Marketo Email Editor 2.0. I occasionally take on freelance projects outside of work. Please feel free to reach out to me if you're interested in creating some custom templates for your team.

Karyn_Hill
Level 4

We ran into this problem when we started with Marketo. We had no funds budgeted for paying someone to create custom templates so I bit the bullet and got myself up to speed. There are still some things I don't know how to do but I've been able to create my own templates, just basing them off of Email Template - Advanced (the most current iteration being 2.0). I found it had a large variety of available modules which I was then able to customize, sometimes substantially, to suit what our graphic designer wanted.

Marketo has its own developers to create custom templates. I don't know how expensive it is to have that done. We're a non-profit and our department has a rather small budget.

To address another issue brought up below, Marketo is clearly designed to be a marketing system, nothing more. Drupal, an actual CMS, has no ability to send emails. It is designed specifically to display and manage content. Marketo's function is to send emails and then examine the results six ways to Sunday. Having the ability to create landing pages with forms on them is a plus. Anyone who tries to use Marketo as a CMS will be deeply disappointed. That would be like using Dynamics CRM as a CMS just because you can create forms and landing pages.