Re: Editing Tokens for Email Subject Line

Anonymous
Not applicable

Editing Tokens for Email Subject Line

Does anyone know if there is a way to modify the token code to include punctuation along with the variable token? I want to use the first name token in an email subject line followed by a comma if there is a lead first name, but exclude the comma if there is no data. I tried variations in order to get the following result:

Example
Subject with Lead Data: Jason, Download this Form!
Subject without Lead Data: Download this Form!

I tried using variations such as {lead.First Name & ",":default=}} however this errors out the email as it is not a recognized token. If I put the comma outside of the token brackets I get the following subject line:

, Download this Form!

As you can see, the comma is included at the front of the subject line as I did not have any text for the default. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Jason
Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jason

I think your solution but I can not find good solution.
If you can duplicate this email, you edit one email for anonymous no name leads.
And you control two emails for known named and anonymous no name leads at your campaign program.
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

@Takehiro's solution would work -- I wouldn't call one of the types "anonymous" and the other "known" though, as they both are known, one just has a First Name filled in. 

However a more appropriate approach IMO is to use Email Scripting (Velocity) where this kind of conditional logic is possible. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got it, thank you Takehiro and Sanford W. I'll try this out today and let you know if it worked. Appreciate the response!
Mitchell_Ruotol
Level 1

Is there a solution for this?  I'm running into the same issue and seems strange given how prevalent first name personalization is.