SOLVED

Re: Editing Scheduling Settings Email and Text

Go to solution
James_Walsh
Level 3

Editing Scheduling Settings Email and Text

So I have a lead nurture campaign in Marketo that has two different communication channels... text messages and emails. If somebody submits a form on our landing page to get a quote for our product, their record is passed to Salesforce, which connects to Marketo and then will automatically send that person an email with their quote information. If the person fails to complete their application they are then entered into our lead nurture campaign which has an email component and a text message component and triggers a day later. 

The issue I am having is that sometimes the same person (email address), submits multiple quote forms so they get duplicated in Salesforce and then Marketo and they receive that initial quote email each time, (which is fine because the quote may be different and the person may be shopping around a bit). However,  say someone submits the quote 5 times, it creates 5 contacts in Marketo. When they get passed over to the lead nurture email campaign it looks like because I have set the scheduling rule to only allow a person to enroll into the campaign once, only one of those contacts receive the email, and the person is only receiving one email...not the same email 5 times. However, in my text message campaign the person is receiving the same text message 5 times. I'm wondering if it has to do with a batch vs triggered campaign, as the text message campaign has to be triggered, while the email campaign is batched.

Also my question is, does the scheduling enrollment of "Run each person through the campaign flow: one time" base it off the contacts Marketo ID, or their email address? Any thoughts? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

• For batch sends, Marketo will only send to one email address, even if the same email address is loaded into multiple contact records. That's the reason person is receiving only one email...not the same email 5 times for 5 quotes.
  • Marketo will send to multiple emails/messages via triggered campaigns because records are not feeding through the campaign at the same time, resulting in Marketo sending to the same address multiple times. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

• For batch sends, Marketo will only send to one email address, even if the same email address is loaded into multiple contact records. That's the reason person is receiving only one email...not the same email 5 times for 5 quotes.
  • Marketo will send to multiple emails/messages via triggered campaigns because records are not feeding through the campaign at the same time, resulting in Marketo sending to the same address multiple times. 
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Darshil's got it. It's because emails have special significance as opposed to other flow steps. SMS and other webhooks are run for everyone.

If you do need to ensure people get the email multiple times from a batch, there are workarounds.

James_Walsh
Level 3

Thanks.

Would I then be able to set up a Batched campaign list that would then trigger a text since texts can only be triggered and not batched? My qualification would be if contact submits lead form add them to this list and say person can only run through batch campaign one time. From there I could create a trigger that says if person is added to list send them text message.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You can use the Campaign is Requested trigger in any campaign. This allows it to be triggered by a separate batch campaign (using the Request Campaign flow step).