Dynamic content based on URL parameter

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dynamic content based on URL parameter

Hi Sanford, thanks for your help with this. I just took a look at the segment we set up and I can't seem to find a filter that looks for the URL parameter but this is definitely the way we would want to set this up. Not sure if I'm missing something there.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

When you're adding a Visit Web Page trigger, one of the constraints is Query String.

Anonymous
Not applicable

So I'm seeing that the smart list to define the segment only has filters, not triggers. And there is no "visit web page" filter either.

SanfordWhiteman

For segmentation you want to populate the field/s that the segmentation depends on using either trigger or batch campaigns. You're not directly adding to a segment but implicitly adding to a segment.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much for your help Sanford. However, I ran a test campaign and the dynamic content did not display on the page. I'm thinking that there is not enough time for the lead to run through a campaign, then get added to a segment, and then get the right content on the LP.

SanfordWhiteman

I feel like you're misunderstanding the design.  While you're correct that the lead will not be assigned to the segment in real time, when you pass the segment in the url -- ?company=MyCo where company is the name of a segmentation and MyCo is a segment -- the page will be dynamically segmented as if the lead were in MyCo.  There are two parts to the process: let's call it the temporary segmentation for immediate display and the permanent segmentation for later personalization when a query string is not used.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Sanford, we definitely understand the design/concept of this idea but I just talked to our Marketo rep and he said this will not work. Since Marketo stopped scoring on anonymous leads, there is no way to dynamically segment the lead by passing the segment in the URL. In theory this would work well for us but I think we will have to try to use the java script option instead.

SanfordWhiteman

Hey Sanford, we definitely understand the design/concept of this idea but I just talked to our Marketo rep and he said this will not work. Since Marketo stopped scoring on anonymous leads, there is no way to dynamically segment the lead by passing the segment in the URL.

They gave you incorrect information.  The dynamic segmentation of the page is not dynamically segmenting the lead.  As I noted above, dynamic/temporary segmentation is merely a preview.  It does not update the lead record on its own but allows you to preemptively segment content.

Here's a page using dynamic segmentation:

http://pages.vaneck.com/localizable1.html?State=RI

http://pages.vaneck.com/localizable1.html?State=NY

I should really blog about this because I don't think it's widely understood.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome thanks we got it to work! There was some confusion there with passing the segment in the URL but we figured it out (we thought it was more complicated then it actually was.) And yes I agree, you should definitely blog about this...I think a lot of people would find it very helpful.

SanfordWhiteman

Great, thanks for the update.