SOLVED

Dynamic Subject Line for the Emailers

Go to solution
Shivani_Patlola
Level 2

Dynamic Subject Line for the Emailers

when we plan to execute the couple of emails based on the behavior such as opens / non-opens, if we sent the 1st email and the second email should be sent for the unopened from the 1st email with the different subject line and the same content for the body.
we don’t want to create multiple emails with the same body content just to change the subject line.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Dynamic Subject Line for the Emailers

I largely agree with Michael's view, but if you don't find it persuasive there are many ways to reuse the same email asset and switch up just the Subject.

• You can use a Text {{my.token}} for the Subject line and have the emails sent from different programs with their own copy of the token
  • Or use a Velocity {{my.token}} and switch the output based on a lead field or segment
  • Or segment the Subject based on a formal segmentation

However, in all these cases, the problem is not just the reuse of the email IMO, but the reuse of the links within the email. If you were to make the links dynamic, so they have a query string attached (?v={{my.version}}) or different link id (<a id="{{my.version}}") then you could report on the clicks from one send vs the other.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Michael_Florin
Level 10

I kind of understand why you don't want to create a whole new email for just a different subject line, yet I think it's still the easiest way to do it. Clone the email, exchange the subject line, name it _Email2Unopened, and place it in your Smart Campaign flow for non-openers. It's quick, and will give you solid reporting as you can perfectly distinguish Email 1 from Email 2.

Any attempt to dynamically replace the subject line for a second send of the same email looks like overengineering to me. 

SanfordWhiteman

I largely agree with Michael's view, but if you don't find it persuasive there are many ways to reuse the same email asset and switch up just the Subject.

• You can use a Text {{my.token}} for the Subject line and have the emails sent from different programs with their own copy of the token
  • Or use a Velocity {{my.token}} and switch the output based on a lead field or segment
  • Or segment the Subject based on a formal segmentation

However, in all these cases, the problem is not just the reuse of the email IMO, but the reuse of the links within the email. If you were to make the links dynamic, so they have a query string attached (?v={{my.version}}) or different link id (<a id="{{my.version}}") then you could report on the clicks from one send vs the other.

SanfordWhiteman

@Shivani_Patlola please come back and read responses to your thread.