SOLVED

Dynamic Content without Segmentation?

Go to solution
Danielle_Wong
Level 8 - Community Advisor

Dynamic Content without Segmentation?

Is there a way to have dynamic content without segmentation, and instead call on a smart list?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: Dynamic Content without Segmentation?

Hi Danielle,

Smart lists are easier, yes.

The big advantage of segmentations over smart lists is that, by design, in a segmentation a lead cannot be in more than 1 segment, while a given lead could be a member of 2 smart lists. So, it is possible, inadvertently, to have 2 leads in 2 smart lists and, if you make an error, they may receive 2 emails. In your case, the risk might not be high, but it exists.

-Greg

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Either you need formal segmentations defined; or use tokens to make your assets unique to each lead.

Danielle_Wong

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I will use tokens. But tokens rely on a certain field, right?

Ultimately, this is the point of my project:

1. I want to be able to send a Nurture/Engagement Program to leads that fill out some of our forms where they download an ebook or whitepaper. In the first email, I want to send those people a different download item, and it has to differ from what they just downloaded. Which for some, they may have already downloaded it before.
  2. I want to then continue sending them downloads throughout the program, but need to ensure they receive only content they haven't received.
  3. In the emails, I want to reference, the titles of the previous download so they can remember which one they received most recently.

So the download buttons and titles will differ depending on the lead. I want to create only ONE email with variations on the download link and titles.

I hope this all makes sense.  This is a tricky plan, but I believe it should work in Marketo. I just need to figure out how to do it.

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Hi Danielle - yes, in order to use lead tokens, there must be a field available within the lead record.  And in your case, you'll custom fields to store the appropriate titles/filenames (and the logic to do so).

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Danielle,

You can mimic it, but you cannot have it directly on the content (email or landing page).

The way to mimic it is creating one different email for each variant, then use choices in your "send email" flow step:

pastedImage_0.png

Why don't you want to use segments ? Is it because you are using a Spark version (that does not have this feature) ?

-Greg

Danielle_Wong

Hi Greg,

Creating segments seem to be a pain compared to making a smart list that generates the same list of people... at least from my experience so far (which is not much).

I just thought maybe I can just get away with dynamic content using smart lists, but couldn't figure out how. I am so new to the dynamic content aspect of Marketo, but I really need to start using it ASAP. So I'm trying to learn as much as I can as I go through creating one. And i'm finding that I'm running into a ton of obstacles as I do.

I appreciate your input!

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Danielle,

Smart lists are easier, yes.

The big advantage of segmentations over smart lists is that, by design, in a segmentation a lead cannot be in more than 1 segment, while a given lead could be a member of 2 smart lists. So, it is possible, inadvertently, to have 2 leads in 2 smart lists and, if you make an error, they may receive 2 emails. In your case, the risk might not be high, but it exists.

-Greg

Danielle_Wong

I see. That could be a concern.. that thought actually brings up another thought/concern.

I am going to be creating 2 nurture campaigns. Both independent of each other. However, a trigger might connect the two.

For example:

• Nurture A members are added once a lead downloads a ebook
  • Nurture B members are added once a lead requests a demo
  • However, within Nurture B, I will be sending them download links. But when they download an ebook, I don't want them going to Nurture A. They need to stay in Nurture B.
    • Any thoughts on how to prevent any movement between the two campaigns?

Thanks!