Re: Dynamic Content in Email

Rachel_Breden
Level 2

Dynamic Content in Email

I work at a college and we had the idea to send our applicants a monthly check-in email showing the steps they have completed as well as the steps they still need to take to become students. For example, something like this:

As of 7/13/16, this is the information we have on file for you:

• Applied for Admission
  • Sent us transcripts

These are the items you still need to complete to become a student:

• Send us ACT/SAT scores
  • Complete testing
  • File FAFSA

There are five steps to take, resulting in 31 possible combinations. I'd really hate to have to set up 31 different emails and was wondering if there was a way to have the "steps" content generating automatically. For instance, if I upload a list of applicants with a column for each of these steps marked true or false, is there a way I could assign rules such as, If "Applied for Admission" is "TRUE" display "Applied for Admission" in the place I designate?

3 REPLIES 3
Jim_Thao7
Level 9

You'll want to take a look at segmentations and snippets: Segmentation and Snippets - Marketo Docs - Product Docs 

From a high level perspective, create 1 segmentation with the 5 segments that you've listed.   In the email, apply the segmentation to the section that you would like to produce dynamic content. 

Rachel_Breden
Level 2

I've been through all the segmentation and snippet docs, but I didn't quite understand how it worked. Would I need to create 31 different segments, one for each combination?

Jim_Thao7
Level 9

I would recommend that the way the content is being displayed be re-evaluated.

Here's one example.  Note that this is only an example and you can change it up how you'd like as it all comes down to strategizing your needs, what Marketo is capable of doing, and the ease of putting it all together.

As of 7/13/16, this is the information we have on file for you.  Please complete the bolded (or you can color code them to red if you'd like) items:

• Applied for Admission OR Need to Apply for Admission
  • Sent us transcripts OR Need to Send us Transcripts
  • Sent us ACT/SAT scores OR Need to Send us ACT/SAT Scores
  • Complete testing OR Need to Complete Testing
  • Filed FAFSA OR Need to File FAFSA

This way, you can have 1 segmentation with 5 segments.  Each line item would be a different section in the email that the segmentation/snippet is applied to.

If a record applied for admission and sent their ACT/SAT scores, their email would then display:

As of 7/13/16, this is the information we have on file for you.  Please complete the bolded (or you can color code them to red if you'd like) items:

• Applied for Admission
  • Need to Send us Transcripts
  • Sent us ACT/SAT scores
  • Need to Complete Testing
  • Need to File FAFSA