Re: Dynamic Content for multiple selections

Travis_Schwartz
Level 4

Dynamic Content for multiple selections

I have been charged with creating an auto responder for a project and sending someone who fills out a form content based on what they had asked for. This is standard and I know what to do for it. but now they are asking if someone can be allowed to make multiple selections and the message be indicative of that.

I know one way of doing it would just be making a version of every possible combination it could be, but is there another way of doing it? maybe with tokens? Where if this is checked, display this if not, leave it blank? Are there other settings for the dynamic content that I'm not seeing where there are options for multiple selections displaying based on what someone indicates on a form?

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Turn to Velocity tokens. Anytime somebody refers to "pre-creating combinations" that's like the bat-signal for Velocity.

Of course, if you're just outputting the value itself (so it's not really a question of combos) you may just want

{{lead.token1:default=}}

{{lead.token2:default=}}

etc.

Travis_Schwartz
Level 4

Are velocity tokens any the same as other token types? Or are those different tokens I create somewhere else? (sorry, Marketo newb)

SanfordWhiteman

Velocity is the language used to write "Email Script" tokens.

Travis_Schwartz
Level 4

I found this page: Apache Velocity Engine - User Guide. If there are other resources, I would love to check them out. I am going to see if it makes sense to me and see if it's something I can do or if we will need to bring in some outside resource. 

Another related thing is we were using UTM's to pass along the selected items/objects, is this doable with the token? or would that need to be reconsidered as well?

SanfordWhiteman

If there are other resources, I would love to check them out. I am going to see if it makes sense to me and see if it's something I can do or if we will need to bring in some outside resource. 

Another related thing is we were using UTM's to pass along the selected items/objects, is this doable with the token? or would that need to be reconsidered as well?

The seminal Marketo-related Velocity posts (as well as copious notes about VTL in general) are at

https://blog.teknkl.com/tag/velocity

You can also search the Community for threads containing "Velocity", lots and lots of those.

Query parameters in the URL hosting the form can't be used to determine the selections made (checkboxes, radio buttons, etc.) when submitting the form.

Travis_Schwartz
Level 4

So this got back burnered with other priorities that came up but has come back around. Let me know if I should start a new post with this, or if it's okay to continue on the one from before.

So no, to answer your question, this doesn't need to be pre-created combos. I would just need to output the set of objects/items that someone would indicates (via a form submission) that they would be interested in.

I work at a financial institution and we have membership events where our team will go table an event (for example) and if someone there were to indicate that they were interested in a checking account, and an auto loan (among a series of other things we offer), I could set each of those to be their own tokens, and it would take a look at which of those were on someones record, and deliver those items? Essentially what I'm trying to accomplish is creating an auto responder "from" the specific rep that helped them reminding them of what they had indicated they were interested in learning more about alongside a brief message from the rep letting them know that they or someone else will be in touch. Right now it's all paper and manual and we're trying to automate and speed of that whole process.

Another thing that I'm not super clear on is would each rep need their own landing page, or something built into the form indicating which rep it was so that the token would have something to reference? that would allow for it to be personalized from the person they had spoken to (there are only like 6-8 reps at this point).

Let me know if I need to clarify this a little bit. I have the list of the things to include for tokens, and I think I know how to set all of that up, but I just want to make sure what I'm being asked to do is in fact doable or if we need to rethink things. it sounds totally doable and I feel like I've gotten similar type of communication before... I'm just not sure of what all steps need to be considered.

Thanks!

SanfordWhiteman

I could set each of those to be their own tokens, and it would take a look at which of those were on someones record, and deliver those items?

Sure, I recommend them being DateTime fields (so you're recording not only their interest but when they became interested at the same time).

Then in Velocity you can output the name of the product for every one of the fields that has a non-empty value.

Another thing that I'm not super clear on is would each rep need their own landing page, or something built into the form indicating which rep it was so that the token would have something to reference?

Def'ly don't need different LPs: the rep can put their email address as a query param in the URL, then that becomes a hidden field on the form.

Sounds like a pretty traditional Referral Form concept.  Make sure to clear the Munchkin cookie to avoid confusion.