Dynamic Content Emails - Default Segment

Erin_Cavanaugh
Level 3

Dynamic Content Emails - Default Segment

I have an email going out where there is an apparel version, healthcare version, food version, and a general version.

I created segments for apparel, healthcare, and food and was able to apply them to the email OK.

My question is regarding the Default segment. Does the Default segment smart list just go to 'everyone else?' In our case, the general version would not just go to everyone else... it would go to a special subset of those people. I don't see a way though to edit the Default segment smart list.

I'm thinking I'm not using Segmentation correctly.

4 REPLIES 4
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Dynamic Content Emails - Default Segment

(Q should probably be in Products​ as it's extremely Marketo-specific.)

I think you are doing the Segmentation side correctly, but you didn't (yet) consider the fact that you'll have people receiving the email (based on Smart List criteria) who you don't want to get the email at all! You should filter those people out separately, using Segmentation membership as the filter criteria. Otherwise, people in the Default segment will get the Default content.

Erin_Cavanaugh
Level 3

Oh well that makes sense... I still need to specify my smart list for the email send...

So I just need to specify which segments to use and not use...?

DynamicContent.PNG

Joey_Forcelli1
Level 5

Hey Erin,

If you exclude the "default" segment you will not be able to send the general version to the subset you want.  Assuming your segment is mapped to you industry field only, you could just use the industry field in your smartlist and select all the industries you want included. 

For example, let's say your mailing should go to food, apparel, healthcare, banking, insurance, and logistics industries. The banking, insurance and logistics folks will all get the default version which would be the desired outcome.  You can also define the criteria in the smartlist of those people to exclude from the email deployment.  Either method would accomplish the same result.

Hope this helps.

Kim_Allen
Level 10

Hi Erin,

You will always have a 'default' segment in every segmentation you make -- it's the catch all for leads that didn't qualify for the other segments proceeding it. That being said, if you are emailing only ppl that fit into the defined segments you shouldn't need the default dynamic content adjusted. I however always like to make sure I have it in there as some generic content just in case a field (that maybe defines the segment) gets a value change or something right before a send. It's a good backup!

Kim