SOLVED

Duration of Email Open

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Duration of Email Open

Was curious if there was any way to know how long an email remains open?

This will help us with lead scoring and determining if the information was actually read or just passed over.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John_Clark1
Level 10

Re: Duration of Email Open

Hi Josh,

The Open Email activity is logged when a lead's email client requests the 1x1 transparent pixel image from our server.  This is a one time request, and there isn't any way to know exactly how long the email remains open after that.

John

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
John_Clark1
Level 10

Hi Josh,

The Open Email activity is logged when a lead's email client requests the 1x1 transparent pixel image from our server.  This is a one time request, and there isn't any way to know exactly how long the email remains open after that.

John

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you

Would be nice if they could add that functionality.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Josh, this is one of the self-consciously "cool" features of Litmus.  It's most commonly used there as an aggregate A/B measure (how many people glanced vs. how many people read, rather than individual glancers and readers).  It can be readily thrown off by restrictive firewalls, and of course requires that the person enable images, but it's sure nice to look at!  I'm experimenting with a Litmus integration for a client.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd appreciate that - thank you very much.

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

This is certainly possible, but not something that's available in Marketo.  Here's one of the advanced email metrics from Email-On-Acid:

pastedImage_0.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for this.  That example data looks very interesting.

Seems as though there are multiple options that I'll need to look into.

Do you know if it can report the duration at the individual level or if only available in the summary format?

We tend to like to see granular level of details.

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Most of the metrics reports that I've worked with in the past have drill-down capabilities - to get to that granular level.  In Marketo, there's is no ability to drill down in most of the reports.  Instead, you need to manually create a smart list with the required filters to get to the granular lead data.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Glad I'm not the only one in this situation then.  That has been my process as well, not ideal but it gets the information.