Duplicates with same source

Anand_Raj_S1
Level 3

Duplicates with same source

Hi,

We found some duplicate records with the same original source and time of creation in our Marketo database.

I'm not sure how is this even possible. Is there some way to prevent this sort of duplication in the future?

Untitled-1.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Anand.

5 REPLIES 5
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Duplicates with same source

These were both created using the REST or SOAP API. At this point (4 years later) it wouldn't be possible to know exactly what request was put on the wire, but clearly some remote app made multiple requests.

Note that "9:47" is rounded to the nearest minute. You can make hundreds of requests during a single minute (1000s, theoretically, but Marketo will only allow 300 to go through).

Anand_Raj_S1
Level 3

Hi Sanford,

Thanks for your response. Same thing happened with source = Web Form Fillout

Now, I have no idea.

2018-04-23_115252.png

SanfordWhiteman

You can post a form 30 times per minute from the same IP, so again, there's nothing so strange here.

If you were showing submissions from the same ​millisecond that would be notable.

Richard_Woelffe
Level 1

We have the same issue.

Look at the merge leads API.

We wrote a routine to merge these leads once a week to the lower id (lead id).  You can pull the leads off a copy of the "possible duplicates" smart list, as you can not read from the system smart list, and limit your merges to a number so they are done before Monday.  Once you get it to near zero, it will stay clean.

Richard
SanfordWhiteman

You shouldn't be seeing any duplicates unless your client app is misbehaving.  I 99% guarantee those requests are going on the wire, they aren't spurious logs of nonexistent requests.