Re: Duplicates in Smart List

Mikes_Jones
Level 8

Duplicates in Smart List

Hello,

Setting up an email program, I filtered the smart list to include anyone from company X - looking through the member list, I see Marketo is pulling some people twice - once as a contact and once as a lead. In our Salesforce, when I search for the member, I only see them in "Contact" form, as the lead has been converted previously.

Just wondering why Marketo is still pulling up the lead as well - and I'm guessing this will mean certain leads/contacts will get duplicate emails?

7 REPLIES 7
Casey_Grimes
Level 10

Hi Malik,

First, it's important to note that Marketo will not send duplicate emails if two records with the same email address run through the same Smart Campaign. With that in mind, if you look up the SFDC ID of the Lead version, what comes up in Salesforce? Generally if a record isn't correctly converting to a Contact alone in your Marketo database it usually means either the record is still around somewhere in SFDC (or perhaps was deleted from SFDC and recreated as a Contact—check the "Deleted in SFDC" field!) or that there were some syncing issues between Marketo and Salesforce that may have since been resolved, leading to a broken lead.

Mikes_Jones
Level 8

Awesome - that's great to know! I was able to look up the lead with their Salesforce ID and they did not exist within SFDC, which means they were successfully converted.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Malik,

If you enter a lead ID in SFDC URL and you have no result, it's more likely that you are referring to a lead that has been deleted then erased from the trash in SFDC.

If you do so with a converted lead, you will have a screen with a message "this lead has been converted" and the link to the contact, account and (if any) the opportunity.

-Greg

Yoav_Guttman1
Level 4

do you happen to have any documentation i could read more about this statement you made:

it's important to note that Marketo will not send duplicate emails if two records with the same email address run through the same Smart Campaign.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Yoav,

This is true... In batch campaigns only. Does not apply to triggered campaigns.

-Greg

Michaela_Iery3
Marketo Employee

Good article from one of our senior technical consultants here:

Native De-Dupe Behavior by Activity

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Here's another resource to fully understand how Marketo considers which record is active among duplicates: If duplicate leads are an issue, be aware of how Marketo determines which lead is active