SOLVED

Re: Duplicate Records, Same Email Address?

Go to solution
Chris_Kosho1
Level 2

Duplicate Records, Same Email Address?

Hello,

I've searched and I can't tell if this exact issue has been addressed before.

I'd like Marketo to search the database for person records with a matching email address, and update the existing record instead of creating a new one.

We have a record that was created earlier this year with the source "Web service API":

Original-Record.PNG

I created a test form and submitted using the same email address and a new record was created instead of updating the existing one:

New-Test-Record.PNG

I re-submitted that form, and the activity was record on the new record. I created another Marketo form, submitted, and the new record recorded that activity as well.

Chat support tells me that a new person was created because the source is different. I understand that this is expected behavior if the new person is created by CRM sync. But what if the new person is created by a Marketo form fill? Is there a way to force Marketo to do a lookup on the email address field before deciding whether to create or update a record?

Thank you,

Chris

PS. We are using a custom built database, not Salesforce or similar CRMs.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

The expected behavior *is* to use Email as the lookup key in this situation, *unless* you have had Support customize your instance with a compound lookup key (such as Email + Source).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SanfordWhiteman

The expected behavior *is* to use Email as the lookup key in this situation, *unless* you have had Support customize your instance with a compound lookup key (such as Email + Source).

Chris_Kosho1
Level 2

Thanks for confirming,Sanford Whiteman‌. That was my initial impression which is why I was surprised to see this behavior. I'll keep digging.

Chris_Kosho1
Level 2

I chatted in again and referenced what Sanford mentioned above. They created a case for me and confirmed there is a custom compound lookup, which is what caused the duplicate values.

SanfordWhiteman

Great!  (I mean not great, but consistent with expectations. )