Drip Campaign Rearranging

Anonymous
Not applicable

Drip Campaign Rearranging

Hi Everyone,

Quick question, but important none-the-less.

We have multiple drip campaigns that are quite long (some spanning 12 weeks or more depending on the strategy involved). We want to rearrange some of the emails in these drips. What happens when I take an email out of the 7th spot and place it in the 9th spot in the campaign? Does Marketo know that someone already received the 7th spot email (say they are on week 😎 when they get to week 9?

What happens then? Does Marketo not send the email to that person at all that week or does it just skip the 9th week send and push them along to the 10th? Sorry for such a basic question, but I don't want people receiving the same email twice or not receiving an email at all because we rearranged the order. I didn't want to make any changes on this until checking on here.

Thanks all!

-Chris

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Drip Campaign Rearranging

Hi Chris,

Yes, the drip campaign "knows" which emails the user have received already. It looks for the next email in the flow which the user has not received yet, so if you wanted to add new time sensitive content you could just add it to the top of the flow.

In your case, it will know that the lead has received the email when it was number 7 in line and will go directly to 10 (if 7th email is now 9).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I was talking about engagement programs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I'm assuming that you all are mentioning the "engagement program" within Marketo. I.E. the Engagement Program type with the Channel set to Nurture, correct?

That is what we are currently using and what the question was being referenced to. I'm assuming that with it set up like this it is not a "free for all" and Marketo knows that someone already received it.

Sorry for the clarification that is needed. I'm still trying to get my Marketo lingo down : ).

-Chris

Kristen_Malkov1
Level 8

Just a real quick clarification: it will 'know' only if you're referencing a nurture campaign. Are you using the engagement module? If not, then it's basically a free for a all and will resend your email to people who have received it.

Justin_Norris1
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Yes to second Kristen Malkovich​, if you are using a normal smart campaign to drip out these emails do NOT try to re-arrange or remove flow steps if leads are already in the flow. Bad things will happen.

As I understand it, the Smart Campaign logic will move someone to the next step according to the step number. Marketo doesn't look at the content of the steps, it will just move people from Step 8 into Step 9 even if Step 9 has changed or if they have already been through it because it used to be Step 7. I have created headaches for myself in this way.

The safe way to do this is to just de-active the existing smart campaign (leads already in flow will continue on their merry way, just let them be) and then clone it and make your changes, and connect the modified campaign to whatever else is going on.

However if it is an Engagement Module then that intelligence is built in and you can re-arrange as you please, since it is designed for that.