Does the new WebKit tracking prevention policy mean anything for Marketo users?

Barry_Dupont1
Level 3

Does the new WebKit tracking prevention policy mean anything for Marketo users?

A colleague came across this post which was released just over a week ago:

Annotation 2019-08-23 083151.jpg

Announcing the WebKit Tracking Prevention Policy | WebKit 

I'm a basic Marketo user who only works with standard functionality - I even don't understand exactly how Marketo works technically. So does this mean that tracking user activity on Apple devices could become a lot harder? Or impossible? And what if Chrome does something similar? Or does this not affect Marketo at all?

Be interested in opinions from the community - I couldn't see another post regarding this since the new policy was released.

1 REPLY 1
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Does the new WebKit tracking prevention policy mean anything for Marketo users?

I won't get into a long discussion of the Why here. (You can watch my blog for that.)

The spirit of Munchkin tracking is merely first-party tracking -- and thus is not in violation of the WebKit TPP and similar policies. But the letter, i.e. technical implementation of Munchkin, is in violation because it's sending beacons/pixels to a 3rd party. At some point, Munchkin is going to need to operate on a subdomain of your first-party domain, rather than via munchkin.net & mktoresp.com.