SOLVED

Re: Does the filter Data Value Changed work on all fields

Go to solution
Franky_Ruyssch2
Level 4

Does the filter Data Value Changed work on all fields

Hi, 

referring to this previous post ( https://nation.marketo.com/t5/Product-Discussions/Best-way-to-count-cookied-contacts/m-p/305041#M171... ) , it is of big importance for the company the measure the cookied leads over time, month by month.

So I had the idea to create a Smart List , based on a 'Data Value Changed' with attribute 'Original Referrer' ( or by Anonymous IP as an alternative ), with an extra 'Date Of Activity' value ( e.g. in past 30 days ).

The problem is that I do not get any results in my Smart List, although I am quite sure we had some value changes.

Therefore my question : Does The Filter Data Value Changed works on all fields? And If not, how should I solve the issue in counting leads on a monthly base, for which original referrer has been changed ( has a value instead of being empty )

Franky Ruysschaert
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Michael_Florin
Level 10

In Marketo - If the value was previously empty - it did not change, it was simply created. Marketo doesn't consider an update from Empty to Something as a Data Value Change.

That is not true. I wonder if it was true at some point, as Marketo Support also claimed this to be the case, but in fact it is not.

Michael_Florin_0-1612347951047.png

This is a change from nothing to something, and it is recorded as a CDV and can be used in triggers and filters as such.

Michael_Florin_0-1612348204748.png

What is true though that if a new person is created with some field values, that these initial field values are not considered a Data Value Change.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Balkar_Singh
Level 9 - Champion

No - not all fields can change their values, and hence, Data Value Change won't result in anything for the fields which don't change values. Separately, Original Referrer is a System Managed field, which records the URL that hosted the original entry source - this, conceptually, shouldn't change. However, fields can be blocked or unblocked for updates from various sources.

In Marketo - If the value was previously empty - it did not change, it was simply created. Marketo doesn't consider an update from Empty to Something as a Data Value Change - for a new person created (edit)

You may want to have something in place to retrospectively check the Original Referrer when a person is created, and see if the value was added to Original Referrer when the person was created, or earlier. But looking for more ideas here.

Here's a list of System Managed Fields, which can clarify more about the Original Referrer.

Michael_Florin
Level 10

In Marketo - If the value was previously empty - it did not change, it was simply created. Marketo doesn't consider an update from Empty to Something as a Data Value Change.

That is not true. I wonder if it was true at some point, as Marketo Support also claimed this to be the case, but in fact it is not.

Michael_Florin_0-1612347951047.png

This is a change from nothing to something, and it is recorded as a CDV and can be used in triggers and filters as such.

Michael_Florin_0-1612348204748.png

What is true though that if a new person is created with some field values, that these initial field values are not considered a Data Value Change.

Balkar_Singh
Level 9 - Champion

Thanks for clarifying. Yes, this doesn't work when a person is created. Updating the comment.