Re: Does anyone use Predictive Content?

Michael_Mason
Level 4

Does anyone use Predictive Content?

I'm looking to see if anyone has used Marketo's Predictive Content. What are you overall opinion of the product? Is it useful? How did you set it up? Any specific problem areas?

16 REPLIES 16
Frank_Breen2
Level 10

I use it out of the box with some CSS customisations for the design, so far in around 3 months I've had a 5% increase on additional form fills. It's a very clunky platform and is a 'one size fits all' product, even Marketo hacks the code on marketo.com to make it work. I have to say from what they Demo it as, it's a million miles to what each company needs to make it work for them. Happy to give you a run down if you need to know more.

Michael_Mason
Level 4

Hey Frank, would like to hear more about challenges you faced.

Devon_Guerrero1
Level 2

Hi Frank, can you share how you were able to override the css?

Frank_Breen2
Level 10

The best example of the code you should use can be seen here: Lead Management Solution - Marketo​, items under "RESOURCES YOU MIGHT LIKE" is Predictive Content, if you right click and inspect the code in Google Chrome, you see a block of code:

<style class="rtp-class" type="text/css">

.RTP_RCMD2 {

}

.RTP_RCMD2 [data-rtp-id="rtp_rcmd2_tpl_1"] {

margin: 0 auto;

max-width: 830px;

padding: 5px;

text-align: center;

font-family: 'Lucida Grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;

font-size: 12px;

}

.RTP_RCMD2 [data-rtp-id="rtp_rcmd2_tpl_1"] .rtp_rcmd2_item {

width: 33%;

float: left;

}

.RTP_RCMD2 [data-rtp-id="rtp_rcmd2_tpl_1"] .rtp_rcmd2_item_inner {

width: 235px;

margin: 0 auto;

background-color: #EBEBEB;

}

.RTP_RCMD2 [data-rtp-id="rtp_rcmd2_tpl_1"] .rtp_rcmd2_item_inner_first {

}

.RTP_RCMD2 [data-rtp-id="rtp_rcmd2_tpl_1"] .rtp_rcmd2_item_inner_last {

float: right;

}

.RTP_RCMD2 [data-rtp-id="rtp_rcmd2_tpl_1"] .rtp_rcmd2_img_container {

height: 175px;

overflow: hidden;

}

.RTP_RCMD2 [data-rtp-id="rtp_rcmd2_tpl_1"] .rtp_rcmd2_img_container img {

max-width: 100%;

max-height: 100%;

}

.RTP_RCMD2 [data-rtp-id="rtp_rcmd2_tpl_1"] .rtp_rcmd2_content_container {

padding: 10px

}

.RTP_RCMD2 [data-rtp-id="rtp_rcmd2_tpl_1"] .rtp_rcmd2_label_container {

height: 80px;

}

.RTP_RCMD2 [data-rtp-id="rtp_rcmd2_tpl_1"] .rtp_rcmd2_description_container {

height: 120px;

margin-bottom: 15px;

color: #696969;

}

.RTP_RCMD2 [data-rtp-id="rtp_rcmd2_tpl_1"] .rtp_rcmd2_link_container {

height: 30px;

padding-top: 5px;

margin-bottom: 10px;

}

.RTP_RCMD2 [data-rtp-id="rtp_rcmd2_tpl_1"] .rtp_rcmd2_link_container a {

padding: 5px 12px;

background-color: #5a54a4;

-webkit-border-radius: 15px;

-moz-border-radius: 15px;

border-radius: 15px;

color: #ffffff;

text-decoration : none;

}

.RTP_RCMD2 [data-rtp-id="rtp_rcmd2_tpl_1"] .rtp_rcmd2_label h4 {

font-size: 15px;

line-height: 120%;

margin: 10px;

display: block;

color: #5a54a4;

}

.RTP_RCMD2 .rtp_rcmd2_title {

font-size: 20px;

margin-bottom : 30px;

color : #696969;

width: 100%;

max-width: 830px;

overflow : hidden;

}

.RTP_RCMD2 .rtp_rcmd2_link_hidden {

text-decoration : none;

}

@media (max-width: 750px) {

.RTP_RCMD2 [data-rtp-id="rtp_rcmd2_tpl_1"] .rtp_rcmd2_item {

clear: both;

width: auto;

margin-bottom: 15px;

float: none;

}

.RTP_RCMD2 [data-rtp-id="rtp_rcmd2_tpl_1"] .rtp_rcmd2_item_inner_first {

}

.RTP_RCMD2 [data-rtp-id="rtp_rcmd2_tpl_1"] .rtp_rcmd2_item_inner_last {

}

.RTP_RCMD2 .rtp_rcmd2_title {

text-align : center;

}

}

.rtp_rcmd2_title {

color: #000!important

}

.rtp_rcmd2_title {

font-size: 18px!important

}

.rtp_rcmd2_content_container {

background-color: #fff!important

}

div[data-rtp-widget-container] {

font-family: 'museo-sans', 'Lucida Grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', 'Nimbus Sans L', Arial, sans-serif!important

}

</style>

This is the code they are using to reformat Predictive Content, this code is for <div class="RTP_RCMD2" data-rtp-template-id="template1">. My code is similar to this but in line with the page web design.

Happy to help out more if you have a sample I can review.

Devon_Guerrero1
Level 2

Thanks Frank. Luckily enough, I had the time to experiment and figure out how to get this to work on my own. The trick is to place a plain style tag within the div that will hold the content, and just copy the class selectors as generated from the script originally, make your modifications, and use the !important rule to override the defaults.

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

It was added to our renewal last year - I suspect there's not a very large % of Marketo customers using it due to very little discussion that takes place on the community.  We incorporated the js code on our website and use it primarily for the analytics it provides.  And yes, it is a bit clunky and could use some refinement. 

As you probably know, PC has migrated/rebranded to Content-AI - and those customers who have PC in their contract are being forced to upgrade their subscription if they want to take advantage of the enhanced analytics that Content-AI provides over what PC included.  We never used the actual dynamic/predictive content in our emails and web pages.

Ironically, there's a webinar tomorrow at 1pm ET "Introducing Content-AI: The future of one-to-one engagement"

JD_Nelson
Level 10 - Community Advisor

I use it. it's come along way, already, in just the last few quarterly updates. But most importantly the Analytics screen that they enabled in December is fantastic. Among other metrics, it has a very easy 2-week trending content section that basically gives me a quick checklist of content I should add to predictive.

Some issues I have with it are mostly on the display side, not the functionality. For instance, all the 'ads' are created as images based on input; therefore they are not very dynamic and can sometimes come across as blurry or just not crisp enough. They provide 7 or 8 layouts to choose from, but really it's just 3 with some variations. If you need something else you have to embed it in the image yourself or rely a bit on your display preferences (whether Rich Media or Email) to get what you want. I've said it before, but it's really sad that my biggest stumbling block with ContentAI is getting the right image layout designed to use with it -- it's just small enough where you want more space, but any bigger and it runs the risk of cannibalizing your other content (for me, in email, it's a secondary CTA)

All that being said, I am on the list of ContentAI & RTP--as a whole--for customer reference calls. I do enjoy it and I do think it will continue to improve and the earlier we are involved the better.

Our setup includes a 2-image section at the bottom of many of our emails (the fact that it rotates content and predicts what people are more apt to click on without me having to design or worry about it is awesome -- I don't worry that people see the same thing every time). We also embedded it on our website as a 'recommended for you' section on our blog and a few key pages throughout our site. It's been great, again, for the flexibility.

Marit_Rossing
Level 3

Hi JD Nelson!

We are currently setting up ContentAI and I am looking for some tips and tricks/strategy on how to best utilize this tool. Is there a way we can connect?

Thanks Marit.

JD_Nelson
Level 10 - Community Advisor

feel free to DM me