Does anyone have advice for a hard bounce email clean up process?

Megan_Reed1
Level 4

Does anyone have advice for a hard bounce email clean up process?

We have been using Marketo for a while now and have built up a small amount of hard bounced emails. I notice a lot of people going back and forth on if they should delete these leads or not. Instead of deleting them, can we fix them? I'm looking for best practices on cleaning up bounced emails. The two obvious ways are to call the company and ask, or Google to search and find new emails that may work. Does anyone have any other ideas or processes in place to clean up bounced emails?
Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does anyone have advice for a hard bounce email clean up process?

...you could look to a company like Reachforce to update/fix your database all at once. They aggregate many data sources together and can programatically remediate your data.
Anonymous
Not applicable

One thing I do want to warn you about is that Marketo uses the term hard bounce to include bad addresses, spam blocks and some types of technical bounces. We don't treat these the same, and neither should you. The bad addresses you might consider removing (though you might want to keep them for historical reporting). The spam blocks you really don't want to remove, because they're most likely good leads who had a temporary antispam block and will deliver at another time. The same goes for these technical errors.

If you want to isolate just the bad address bounces, you can use the smart list filter email bounced is any, add constraint category is 2. Category 2 is just those addresses that have bounced due to no longer being functional email addresses; we set these email invalid.
Alok_Ramsisaria
Level 10

Hi 

We have been working on several data cleaning and enrichment projects for clients like Cloudwords, Seecontrol and more. With inhouse tools, we ensure that you get a high delivery rate for all your email campaigns, and you have a database of valid email IDs.

You can drop me a line at alok@grazitti.com to discuss in detail.

Regards
Alok