Re: Does Marketo "see" emails with capital letters as the same?

Vlada_Prasolova
Level 5

Does Marketo "see" emails with capital letters as the same?

i had an issue during one of my email campaigns where the same person received 2 emails when he shouldn't have
when i started to check lead details i found that i actually have 2 leads with the same email
the only difference is that one is John.Smit@mail.com and the other john.smit@mail.com

i've used the "add choice" option in the flow to make sure that duplicate emails (which i know we do have in our database) will receive just 1 email

i thought that marketo "sees" these emails as the same
so using capital letters does make email address a different one to Marketo?
it such case what's the best solution to avoid such things in future?
Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

I seem to be having this problem also, according to the Marketo documentation the system automatically detects duplicate emails and only sends to the one with recent activity, but we are having customers complain despite this safeguard. 

Hope there is a solution that I’ve missed off!

Can I ask, what is the "add choice" filter is - is this what its actually called? 

Andrew

Vlada_Prasolova
Level 5

Andrew, i was advised that in order to avoid sending several emails to the same customer in case of duplicate database (and that's a huge problem for us) it's best to put all emails in 1 flow (if there are several you want to send in 1 campaign):
like:
if "member of this smart llist" send email1, if "bla-bla-bla" send email2, etc. - in this case Marketo will dedupe emails while the campaign is running and won't send several at once

but now it seems it's not an option((
hope somebody here can give better advice
Edward_Masson
Level 10

Make sure you double check your qualiification rules before launching, if you have it set to everytime and schedualing can resend to the same people on your list.

The other thing to be aware of is distrubuted list email address in your database. e.g. info@company.com, sales@company.com.
Several contacts could be in your data base as an individual and part of a distrubuted list, e.g. John.Smit@mail.com and sales@company.com, in a batch campaign, john.smith would get 2 emails